UCAS points for Intermediate

amum/Cathy

Ds is taking his IDTA Intermediate exam in 2 weeks and has just spotted that IDTA isn't listed with the other organisations for UCAS points here http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/dance

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the IDTA exam wouldn't count for points? We are vaguely wondering whether it is worth taking the RAD exam as well at some stage. His teacher only switched from RAD for the Intermediate class a year and a half ago.

Thanks if you know!

I think you will need to contact either IDTA or UCAS to ask the question.  The RAD have a similar page of OFQUAL and QF points and it looks like intermediate is awarded the same recognition regardless of exam board on their tables but I don't know if the IDTA is registered for UCAS points or not.

These UCAS points will only be useful if your daughter/son applies to a University that offers places on points eg.300 points and not on A level grades eg.AAB. It all depends on where you apply.

Don't forget to put something about dancing in their personal statements as it shows thay do something outside school.

'These conditional offers are generally made based on:

1. UCAS Tariff points
  2. qualification grades
  3. a combination of 1 and 2.' 

Have a look at: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/

• Like 1

Intermediate on IDTA attracts 28 QCF credits.  You will need to check with UCAS as to how many credits get UCAS points.  Usually it is only Level 3  in vocational qualifications that attract UCAS points.  There is a chart on the IDTA website that tells you how many credits you get for which grade.

Thanks everyone. I think I am getting my head round this. Ds is likely to be applying for degree courses that make offers based on grades as Lottie as suggested (at least that is his thinking atm). I think he wanted to be able to tot up all his points though. He doesn't want to do RAD Intermediate especially so will concentrate on putting his dance (and music and musical theatre) into his personal statement. And it is just a bonus if the IDTA exam does actually top up his points to make him feel more accomplished!

The allowance for dance and music exams is usually only made if the degree is in that subject and, I think, at the discretion of the university. They usually offer perhaps one grade below I.e. if the usual offer is DDM then the offer allowing for this might be DMM.