Brian Maloney

Very sad indeed to hear this,but it may well be frustration at perpetually being passed over for promotion when it is so patently deserved, added to long periods off through injury. A fine dancer ( particularly delightful and charming Colas opposite Yuhui Choe),a brilliant pianist,a consumate linguist and an all round really nice guy. If you're on facebook send him a message,particularly as today is his birthday.

I've been a big fan of Brian's for many years, and will miss his performances loads.  He's always been a very loyal and reliable member of the RB, no matter which roles he was dancing.  He did have some unfortunate injury problems, but always came back even better than before.  He tells me he is going to be working with some German sports scientists who are developing a special strenghthening programme for ballet dancers, so his experience will stand them in very good stead.  He will still be based at the ROH so will still be around.  He said he wants to quit while he's ahead and is still in good physical shape.   Knowing what a good guy he is, he will be helping the younger dancers in all kinds of ways.  I wish him loads of happiness and every success in his new venture. 

• Like 1

I was at the dinner and was really sorry to hear the news. He's been one of my favourites since he danced Lescaut with Sylvie Guillem in Manon and I have looked out for him ever since.  That was reinforced when I saw him interviewed at a Ballet Association evening.  Really passionate about the Royal Ballet and proud to be one of their dancers.