Pointe Shoe Bag/De-shanking pointes

Regattah

Apologies for starting a rather boring thread ....

My DD mentioned that her pointe shoe bag has fallen apart. Since it's her birthday this week I thought my little DD could get her a new one - but it has to be nice since it's a present. (Miracle, if you're reading this, I'm not being quite as last minute as you think. We're having presents and celebrating on Saturday when she's home.)

The only problem is that the best one I can find with mesh etc is the Bloch one. It's fine, but so boring! Do any of you know of any others? Or a different type of bag that works well? She did have a Cath Kidston small laundry type bag but it's come apart.

They are like pointe shoes but without the shank, Katymac. Dd wears them instead of soft ballet slippers as she's taking her RAD Intermediate this term. Usually I de-shank her pointes as Regattah says, but for her exam I will buy her a new pair of soft blocks because they're a little lighter than de-shanked pointes (and much cleaner!). :-)

I've actually no idea Loulabelle. Although I'm sure there's a bit of brute strength involved! My DD's feet barely grew for years so we've managed to get through on only two pairs of proper soft blocks. I didn't actually go into details with her but assumed her second pair were tidy enough for her Inter exam!

Spanner - my DD manages to lose most things before they have the chance to get holey or grey!

• Like 2

Slightly off topic Loulabelle, but here goes - this is for Freeds (I tried it once with Grishkos but they're tricky as they don't have a separate insole):

Peel the suede insole away from the shoe. It should come away easily in one piece. Set aside.

Hold the satin of the shoe, and start to pull the cardboard shank away from the bottom of the shoe. The nail at the back will probably come out quite easily, but if not you can use pliers.

The further towards the box you get, the harder it becomes, but persevere!

Make sure you remove all the nails - there will usually be 3 in each shoe. With enough brute force, you should be able to get the whole shank out in one piece.

Brush out any dried glue or debris from inside the shoe.

Glue (with fabric glue) the suede innersole back into the shoe.

Ta da!

• Like 3

......or if brute strength doesn't work.....brains might.....here's what my husband did....

Put something solid into the toe part of the shoe.  Turn shoe upside town (bottom up). Put an open pliers aaround the head of the nail ,  Tap with a hammer and the nail pops up.

I usually found that the inside of the sole of the shoe was quite rough even after putting the suede piece back in and sometimes once the shank was out the shoe was a tad big.  So, I slipped in a thin foam pad (Dr. Scholl's) easily found in almost any store carrying foot aids, band aids, ace bandage - that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Not really sure what my dd does to turn her pointes into soft shoes but I have a (formally) really nice pot that has been destroyed by the process. It's covered in gluey icky smelly shoe stuff. She soaks them for a time apparently. Thank goodness she knows the process and is self-suffient. Side note.... I don't buy slippers anymore :)