Excercises to improve turnout

dancer27

Hello dancer27,

This isn't going to help much, but I'm going to suggest seeking the advice of your teacher and/or a dance physio. There are different reasons why turnout may be perceived to be reduced, and one could even be hypermobility and lack of strength to *hold* the turnout. Hence you would be given different exercises depending on the area that needs work.

• Like 2

Thanks spanner :) My teacher has told me that i often force my turn out and my knees aren't over my toes. I don't want to cause myself a knee injury in the future and so I think a dance physio would be a great idea. 

Edited by dancer27
  • Like 1

forcing turnout is really bad for your knees. if you're a recreational dancer, you're better off to just work with what you've got.

I wouldn't say I'm a recreational dancer as I'm starting at vocational school in September but not looking to go down the ballet route in dance. Although I do see ballet as an importance as Im hoping to go down the contemporary route.

I agree to the suggestion of asking your teacher as both my DDs were given exercises to help with turnout, same teacher but different exercise for each.  You will in any case have a physio assessment in your first term and you will know from that what you need to work on and where your strengths and weaknesses lie.

• Like 2