The things they didn't tell you...

taxi4ballet

on the day you take your small child to their first ballet class... please feel free to add to the list ;)

The hours and hours you will spend waiting around 

The hours and hours you will spend in the car

The late-night emergency sewing

The late-night emergency internet-shopping

Stalking the postman

The nagging doubts

And above all, the wonderful friends you make along the way :rolleyes:

• Like 15

That you'd be so addicted that even in your 60's you can't bear the thought of not being able to do class ever again, so you keep going, even though your body is falling to pieces, trying to ward off that terrible day just a while longer.............

• Like 1

About balletcoforum.com and all the great advice available here.

That when your DC started their Associate classes where that road would take you both.

That you'd be talking to your DS about dance belts and make-up.

• Like 5

I wish someone had told me, when dd got into JAs that the national skirt i spent hours over the summer hols lovingly sewing, wasnt going to be worn till the following summer term and would therefore need to be let down and rehemmed before it ever got used!

plus all of the above!

Loving the fact that 'our' JA skirt has lasted 6 years, hem down then up again then down for my two DD's.  Thinking I will have a little cry on the last lesson :rolleyes:

• Like 1

.... or spin it around.

The many amazing moms (and a few dads) I'd make friends with over coffee while waiting all those hours.

The skills and responsibility learnt from maintaining a ballet lifestyle.

The posture and confidence gained from the ballet lifestule.

And most importantly, a dd who is so wrapped up in her ballet education that she doesn't have time for trouble. 

Just found out about some former friends/dancers of dd who had quit their dance studies and have since found some serious troublesome behaviors so I'm feeling sentimental.

• Like 3

Someone we knew sent both of her daughters to dance classes specifically to keep them out of trouble :o I wasn't so cold blooded but I did know exactly where our dds were and what they were doing - because I was there with them :)

I will definitely be having a good cry too, getting slightly nervous about it already!

Loving the fact that 'our' JA skirt has lasted 6 years, hem down then up again then down for my two DD's.  Thinking I will have a little cry on the last lesson :rolleyes:

For weeks last summer we felt like we were constantly doing the 'last' of everything and saying far too many goodbyes - it was emotionally draining and we were relieved when the time came to look forward to new adventures (though we have both made lifelong friends and many happy memories along the way!)

• Like 2

That the children that didn't dance are still at home with you and not over 3 hours away, like our 11year old! Will I be closer to them in the future and he'll be so independent and not need me!! I feel the distance between us now and he's only in year 7!

• Like 1

About balletcoforum.com and all the great advice available here.

That when your DC started their Associate classes where that road would take you both.

That you'd be talking to your DS about dance belts and make-up.

Oh yes, forgot the day I stayed at my son's flat and I'd left my make-up bag at home, and without batting an eyelid called out "can I borrow your make-up" to my 19 year old :-)

• Like 8

That as much as you have seen your DD dance before you will still be amazed every time you see her in full costume on stage in the spotlight and know that all the scrimping together money, tears and tantrums over hair pulled too tight or ballet ribbons too loose flutters away in that very moment.

• Like 7

That when you realize that ballet is what you were meant to do, no class or performance is ever the same again. Every perfect balance... the moment when you nail that seemingly impossible triple pirouette...when you a finish a jump combination that's left you feeling like you have wings...it all sounds a bit crazy I know, but its all those little things that come together, and, well, make you whole. They never tell you that. 

• Like 5

That you could do with 2 washing machines and a magic spray not yet invented to remove the sweat and grime from once white socks and leotards - WHY do they choose white for Boys ?!

That you must persuade a boy of nearly 11 that he must wear skin tight shorts like knickers for JA's

though his ballet teacher says he is old enough for tights on her class!

That there are times when keeping still and not dancing around the supermarket is less embarrassing for DM's

• Like 2