Elmhurst extra audition date

I don't speak with any authority. :-)

What I meant was that knowing how Ballet companies conduct their auditions, I certainly can't see all Artistic Directors changing their audition procedures. Nor can I realistically see schools changing their audition procedures to make auditions longer or spread them over a few days.

If I'm wrong and it happens then great! :-)

• Like 1

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the schools do already take a longer look at the auditions.

The Hammond audition for yr 7 is an all day affair and if memory serves me correctly Tring was all day.

I do remember on the letter from Elmhurst it stated that entry was by way of "competative" audition, and my very small,very young and very shy at the time DD looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Sorry Spannerandpony for keeping off topic.

• Like 2

I seem to remember that the reason that Tring and Hammond audition were longer than Elmhursts, was because they both had singing auditions and jazz classes too, whereas Elmhurst was just ballet!

• Like 1

We have always had an excellent experience at Elmhurst, the staff are lovely especially the people who work at the front desk. This year however there have been changes, they now have a new director of dance, who will want to make his own decisions and choices, and there is the funding issue. You never know auditions may well be very different in the future years at Elmhurst, I hope they don't change the bit where parents can see their children dance though. So big changes for Elmhurst this year, but it doesn't help you poor anxious parents who are waiting. All I can say is we all understand you pain, fingers crossed for you all.

• Like 2

I seem to remember that the reason that Tring and Hammond audition were longer than Elmhursts, was because they both had singing auditions and jazz classes too, whereas Elmhurst was just ballet!

Yes Evie this is true.

The point I was trying to make was that it felt more like a competition as the children had to try and stand out in a crowd of around 30plus.

• Like 1

Sorry couldn't give any body our news left I pad at work couldn't log in at home forgot password.

My DC didn't get in I have a very very upset child who never wants to dance again. I wish they would give you a clue why

Ahhh, bad luck and commiserations Tinker. The first few "no"s are always the hardest; after that you both learn to take them less personally!

There could be so many reasons why and it could be as simple as not enough beds. This doesn't have to be the end of your DC's dancing journey at all and hopefully once the initial sadness fades a little the lure of dancing will be too strong to resist!

Oh Tinker so very sorry to hear that news !

It is so hard not getting any feedback , but that is standard .

I have tried before , but with no success .

Very often it's little to do with their talent , but just that they have x places to fill and more than enough to choose from.

This extra audition was probably more tough because there woe have been just a handful if places !

My DS was devastated at not getting into White Lodge with his Friends , but another door has opened and he has put it all behind him .

It will pass .....give them time and reassure them they did well to be even invited to the audition !

All the very best ;(

Sorry couldn't give any body our news left I pad at work couldn't log in at home forgot password.

My DC didn't get in I have a very very upset child who never wants to dance again. I wish they would give you a clue why

Ah tinker sad news ! Hope your DC reflects on the experience and decides he does want to dance after all.

I know my DD wasn't involved in these auditions (her time starts ready for September 2014 intake!) but I've been reading with interest and following the journeys so I'm sad for you and your DC Tinker :(

With so many lovely dancing children and so few places, I know I'm already scared by the possible rejection that my DD could face next year, but "without the possibility of failure there can be no hope of success" - that's the motto I will probably be repeating over and over again in the coming months  ;)

I hope your DC quickly recovers from this "no - not now" (a phrase I've learnt from all the lovely forum members  :D )

• Like 1

Aw they did so well getting a chance to audition again. Ballet just like any elite sport is tough and laced with so many disappointments. I have now come to realise that yes you have to have talent and physique, but just as portant you have got to have determination and a very strong spirit even at such a young age. The above was meant to say important, key board on phone is small. Good lunch for all the children who got through and also good luck for next year for the ones that didn't.

• Like 2

Oh Tinker - don't give up ! A huge accollade to have even been looked at in this extra audition - as many didnt even get through the photo stage . Robert Parker must have seen something in your DS , and you must take heart from that . There were undoubtedly very very few places .Indeed I have only heard of 2  being awarded. Do look elsewhere - in fact I would hazard a guess that Hammond would look at him , even at this late stage , for Sept 2013 , as I know of several children leaving. Good luck - its worth a call x

• Like 1

Tinker, there is the WL summer school to look forward to and hopefully that will reinvigorate his passion for dance. Just getting there is a huge achievement. Keep him taking lessons and there is always next year. As is evident from ALL the various discussion on this board, there are many, many varied ways to an end point and as long as they are enjoying the journey, all's well and good.

So, just remember to tell him that a good number of students go to vocational school in years 8,9,10 for the first time and that he need to keep on working hard and enjoying himself. The money you save from not going to vocational school this year (which wil always be much more than you think it will be! But that's something for a different thread) can go towards a couple of extra lessons, or some boys only classes. I think if he is going into secondary school, then getting some boys only classes somewhere is essential.

• Like 4

Hi tinker sorry to hear your news, would your teacher be able to call the school to gain feedback if there is any to give?

Ax