Elmhurst extra audition date

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pasdebourree15, you could always plead ignorance and apply anyway on the basis that it wasn't there when you first looked at website ;)   I guess they are saying that because they don't want to trawl through another few hundred applications, if Mr P is selecting from photographs.

That said, how many dc's are in Huddsballetmum's position I wonder - based upon the number of applicants they had this year, one would think the majority of dc's considering vocational school would have applied first time round.  Would have been nice if the audition was also extended to all finalists, although as already mentioned, many of them have been snapped up by other schools.  And then of course there is summer school to pick from too!  interesting times ahead!

Best of luck Huddsballetmum, how lovely to be given a second chance when you thought it was too late, shall be keeping everything crossed for you  :D

• Like 1

Wonder if they've been through all the summer school applications? The photos they are asking for are the same as for that and very similar info on the forms. There will be lots of students going who didn't apply for vocational this year.

Also wonder if there are MDS awards available for the spaces? 

Edited by Loulabelle
  • Like 1

Its only my opinion , but , as a teacher , even if a child is unwell , or has an off day , so to speak , the experienced panel can still assess the child properly , as their physique ( which lets face it , has a lot to do with it ) doesnt alter , neither does their facility / flexibility to any great extent .(Unless injured , of course ) . Therefore it would be of little point re auditioning if already refused a place , as it would be a double knock to a childs confidence .These schools have years of experience and I am sure they know what they are about . Better to set out your stall straight away , in my opinion, rather than having to plough through hundreds of applicants again . At the end of the day - when you're in the company you'll still have off days !!

• Like 5

If your child was having an 'off day' or unwell on the day of audition, whilst I agree the panel would have a good insight into the dancer's abitilties, this may affect the child's performance. You won't shine outside if you are not shining inside. As long as a child is happy to re-audition knowing they may still be refused a place, in my view, they should go for it.  I hope your dd sparkles at summer school Taxi4ballet  ;)

• Like 2

Billyelliot - if you don't mind me asking (please say if you do), why do you think your son was not offered a place at WL due to body size/proportion?  I thought my son looked similar to yours, but I have never thought that my son was particularly different to any of the other JAs........

I know of lots of children rejected at one audition and then offered a place several months or a year later - across all the schools. Admittedly, 3 months might not make much difference but it could. Auditions are not perfect on either the auditionee or auditioner side of things. Sad that they have ruled out previous auditioners from this year.

• Like 3

Can anyone tell me how long the auditions last and what time they start? If dd is lucky enough to get audition I have dilemma as audition date is same as 1st night of Oliver production at home, and as she's playing Nancy I can't let her back out! Birmingham is 2-3 hours from us dependent on traffic. Oh dear!

I think our final audition for year 7 started at around 10am - there was about a 2 hour class during which we were asked to drop them off and go off until 12 pm and then come back for a guided tour . Then followed a physio assessment that took ages because there were so many of them ! We didn't leave till 4 pm

It may well be shorter if there are fewer candidates .

There was a later group of candidates that were for older years.

All in all it was a whole day affair !

It would be worth sending an email to Briget Creaton - the administrator - she is very helpful !

Briget.Creaton@elmhurstdance.co.uk

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for all of you, we are waiting for associate results as dd is desperate to get in to Elmhurst with a view of carrying on through to year 7 and beyond!, scary stuff though, so much to consider!!

Fingers crossed for your DD Huddsballetmum! Hope everything works out :) what year is she auditioning for? 

Fingers crossed for your DD Huddsballetmum! Hope everything works out :) what year is she auditioning for? 

Don't ask how I managed to do the quote twice - technical ineptitude I think.  She is auditioning for year 9 Pasdebourree.  I have never wanted her to go away to school, but  have to realise that it is not my decision and if she is lucky enough to be successful then I will just have to swallow it.  Thanks for your good wishes. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dd is applying for the first time at Elmhurst. I hate to put her

through auditions but she is determined. I will keep you posted how

it goes. Nice to know their class/studio is very nice. They are probably

choosing from photographs those who will audition. This is ever so stressful

don't know how other mothers cope.

• Like 1