Elmhurst extra audition date

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm not surprised. I hear the new AD set very high standards this year for 6th form and even rejected half of the White Lodge year 11s. A lot of their own year 11s have gone to ENBS, so there can't have been that many left from elsewhere who could meet those standards, hence having to cast the net again.

I would think it would be worth anyone auditioning again, even if they have auditioned before and been rejected. They may have revised their original criteria now. You've got nothing to lose and you just never know in this game!

• Like 3

Guest balletmum16

Just a question out of interest - do any vocational schools admit children early? For example a year five who is very academically bright in additional to having ballet potential going straight into Year 7? Thanks.

Just a question out of interest - do any vocational schools admit children early? For example a year five who is very academically bright in additional to having ballet potential going straight into Year 7? Thanks.

I can't answer about Elmhurst but we asked Tring and the answer was no. They said you have to be in your age group for dance and, for reasons of organisation, in the same age group for academics. 

It may be a funding thing ... We had to turn down a year 7 place for this reason a few years ago pretty late in the day when we realized we were defeated! Also, maybe a few have given notice on return from from Easter holiday as a terms notice is required. Who knows.

It does say that you don't automatically get an audition this time-they will look at applications this time, so if you have auditioned before perhaps you may not get the chance again... do Elmhurst have a SWL or is it just a straight 'no'?

Swanprincess

Elmhurst has a new Artistic Director and this is really the first intake of students he has auditioned fully so I think it is impossible for any of us to answer your question. It will be after a few years worth of intake that we might be able to see trends for preferring a particular type (or not!!).

Actually the AD was at prelims and finals last year so was already putting his stamp on the school before he officially started the job in September. But Jane is right it may take a while for a pattern to emerge or not! If you don't try Swanprincess you won't know. I know it is hard to put yourself out there in line for possible rejection but if you can manage to do it and take it in your stride and not let it put you off trying again then you are half way there (more than half way probably) x

• Like 1

Just to clarify having already auditioned THIS year, it wouldn't be an option to audition again? Or is it really an open audition, even if you've already applied for a course commencing in September 2013 and been turned down? To be honest I would love to go just to dance in that beautiful studio again! It was a lovely class...but I'm not sure if they'll allow previous applicants from this year to re-audition? 

Hi Pasdebourree15, the home page on their website says the following:

(Please do not apply if you have already attended an audition at Elmhurst during this academic year.

Sorry :(  My DD went for her JA audition there on Saturday and loved the building too :)

• Like 2

Ooh!  This is exciting.  My dd has been going on and on about auditioning for Elmhurst, but I thought I had missed the boat for this next academic year.  I think we will be applying when I get home tonight.  Does anyone know what size the photographs need to be?

• Like 2

We also loved the studio and my DS enjoyed the whole day and the super building - we also noticed the presence of the new AD and were impressed that he was so encouraging to the lower school boys!

We got the impression that there is less importance placed on physical measurements

as my DS was not offered a place at WL most likely due to body size/ proportion , but was successful at Elmhurst .

We know of one DS that was offered a funded place at Elmhurst but has turned it down at the ladt minute because of family mooving overseas so that may be one of the reasons behind the extra audition !

• Like 2

Ooh! This is exciting. My dd has been going on and on about auditioning for Elmhurst, but I thought I had missed the boat for this next academic year. I think we will be applying when I get home tonight. Does anyone know what size the photographs need to be?

Hi Pasdebourree15, the home page on their website says the following:

(Please do not apply if you have already attended an audition at Elmhurst during this academic year.

Sorry :(  My DD went for her JA audition there on Saturday and loved the building too :)

Just looked at their website again - they have definitely added it in the last day or so - it wasn't there before.

• Like 1

I agree Billyelliott the AD was extremely welcoming and warm and the audition in general was just very friendly...I found it easy to dance my best as my nerves were put to rest upon walking in and hearing Mr. Parker say "Just show us how much you love to dance." A great experience all in all! Would very willingly do it again. :) Massive congrats to your DS for earning a place and best wishes for his future career! 

And I feel the same way taxi4ballet! Don't know if I could actually handle the craziness of audition season all over again! It was incredibly draining :) 

• Like 3

Upper school 6.1 applicants:

Please do not shoot the messenger....but....why are they not allowing the upper school finals candidates to re-audition? It may be they had an off-day or just need looking at again.

This is especially true for the upper school as I know of some really beautiful dancers from vocational schools who made the finals and were not accepted but who were then snapped up by ENB and Central, who would probably give a lot to be accepted into Elmhurst! :)

Do they know (again for the upper school) that there are other more desirable dancers out there who have not already auditioned? Personal opinion only...but this seems very odd :rolleyes:

T