Profile Pictures

I've merged the two overlapping threads on profile pictures.

You can't upload an image from your computer directly: it has to come from a photo sharing site or from Gravatar, which seems to be favoured. This is mentioned in the Help & hints for users posting under 'Your profile' which I have just updated slightly to make the advice clearer.

• Like 2

I originally set up my picture via gravatar.com. I just decided to try changing it and what a performance!!  It didn't like the first picture I chose but did like this one.  It has taken about half an hour to update.  This picture is of me with Darren Goldsmith - one of my favourite dancers at Northern Ballet.

Well by finally getting to grips with Gravatar have managed to get the peony from my garden which was on the iPad called White Swan.

It's not cropped perfectly as couldn't get rid of the lower bud using their cropping facility. This was in flower in my garden in June his year a lovely shrub now and gets bigger and more floriferous every year.

One thing for anyone else trying this....it's the final page which through me as looks as if your image has been set up but then nowhere to move on to didn't know whether Inhad completed finally or not as in theory I think it should have sent me to another page. Then when went into,balletco I could still see old image but after a few mins it changed!!

I was just about to start a rant on about Gravatar but in the end it did work just be prepared for that little wait at the end before piccie is transferred across!

Anyway this will do for now!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've been looking at the Gravatar site, and honestly I have to say that my brain went into shut-down just reading the first paragraph of what it takes to get a Gravatar. Plus once you have one, it's the same on every site where you use a particular email address, if I'm understanding correctly, which is a bit inconvenient unless you get custom email addresses for sites with related themes.

I was just wondering why this forum is so restricted in how we can get a profile picture. I belong to a couple of other IPB forums, and up until a few months ago I used to own one. They all allow avatars to be uploaded either directly from the computer or via a URL from a photo-hosting site, without having to faff around with the complications of Gravatar. Is there a reason the settings at this forum are restricted to Gravatar photos?

I have used Gravatar from the start but, as a trial (for today only!), have just changed my avatar by placing my childhood poodle on Photobucket and using their Direct option to copy the URL. Presumably it's possible with other photo hosting sites too - just a matter of finding the right upload format by trial and error.

It worked! Thanks so much. I've tried it before and just got an x. Not sure what made the difference this time but that's fine.

OK, you can go back to Gravatar now...(nice poodle, btw :)).

Edited by Melody

• 2 weeks later...

'...>have managed to get the peony from my garden which was on the iPad called White Swan.<...'

LinMM - it does look a bit like a pic of a fried egg, though (and, as an egg-lover, I assure you that it is none the worse for that!).

Jazzpaws, what is that adorable little bird perched on the birdbath