Profile Pictures

The old Forum preserved our anonymity but I see that two of our number have managed to put an image in place of the default headshot outline that this new package provides. So I thought I'd try myself and have been defeated comprehensively in a number of attempts to import something, both from my own computer and by using a URL from an online photo site! I've no idea why this should be, as I have previously managed to do something similar elsewhere without difficulty. Any suggestions?

It took me several attempts Ian. In the end I used Gravatar and loaded an image onto that to share. It looked as though it hadn't worked but the next time I logged in to the forums there I was! This is a happy photo (I like how small they are as I am extremely unphotogenic) taken in Dublin in July 2011 when we were there to see BRB.

In respect of anonymity, I don't feel any need for myself!

• 1 month later...

I can't upload a photo at all; when I try it looks as if I'm uploading one but then appears as a blank box entitled "spannerandpony's photo". When I tried to sign up to Gravatar, all went well until I tried to log in and then I got repeated messages of "no account exists". Bit sick of battling with it now; so I shall remain as a blank! :blink:

When I tried to sign up to Gravatar, all went well until I tried to log in and then I got repeated messages of "no account exists". Bit sick of battling with it now; so I shall remain as a blank! :blink:

Like you I failed to upload a pic but then used Gravatar which worked fine. You need an account with them and then all you have to do is to associate the email address you use here with a photo that you have on your computer or find on the web. When you set up the Gravatar account did you get a confirmatory email with a link to verify it?

• 3 weeks later...

As can now be seen, I've managed to add an image via Gravatar - noting that others were using the odd capital letter or space, it began to dawn on me that the username for their site need not be the one I use here, and so it proved. So, anonymity lifted as we step into the new era ........ I might even trade this one for a real photo one day!

Not sure how I did it now (but did use Gravatar) but as you can see I chickened out of using a photo of me (I never have my photo taken if I can help it) and went for one of my dogs instead!!

• Like 1

Uh oh, this sounds a bit complicated for me :( I will have a go at the weekend, and if I can figure out Gravatar it will be a major miracle. I recently signed on to Twitter, but for some reason can't upload a photo. Everyone else seems to be able to, but it just isn't working for me, so I have to remain an anonymous egg-shaped blob. Oh well, maybe a photo wouldn't be much different anyway!

• Like 3

A lot of it seems to be to do with the size of the photograph file. The oneg I use on twitter is one that was sent to me and the file is considerably smaller than any taken with my current camera. This photograph was set up using Gravatar.

I just tried to transfer a photo using gravatar and ended up with this strange symbol. I have no idea of how to get rid of it.

Edited to say that I appear to have succeeded in getting rid of the strange symbol although I'm not sure how I did it!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm sure I am being incredibly dense, but if anyone can enlighten me I will be so grateful.

I decided to post a profile picture, instead of being a shapeless blob, as most of us are.I tried a nice picture of tree frogs from the internet and even a silhouette of DD from my album - either "file too large" or just a little square came up, so feeling a bit cross with it at the moment (my fault I am sure). Not many photos on here, I have noticed, perhaps i am not alone xx

Hi LinMM

I'm glad I am not alone - feel slightly less dense now !

I can do it on Facebook, but then any picture on there there is an option to make it a profile picture, so I wonder if I try and copy and paste a picture on here  then I might have that option. Others must find it hard as most of us are faceless blobs, very few pictures x

Ive just tried to be too clever by half and managed to lose even the blob profile to a white square. So had to remove!

I sent my peony in email to myself, reduced the file size, sent back to my photo roll now as only a 33mg piccie and it says on balletco site not bigger than 50 so thought I had cracked it but instead got a white square!

Guess will just carry on with the faceless profile then!!

Morning all,

I've moved this thread over here to "Problems and Queries" as it's more appropriate here than in "Doing Dance". Also some of the more technical minded folks may see it!

I'm sorry to say that I can't remember how I got my picture to work - other than the fact that I had to download the suggested photo sharing software onto my PC and do it via that software. I use an ipad now though so I can't even go back and revisit what I did!

• Like 2