A Double Pirouette - first step to stardom

Anjuli_Bai

I was watching a DVD called "Every Little Step" about the revival of "Chorus Line."  An audition notice went out and hundreds of  people were lined up outside for blocks in NYC - in the rain.

Obviously, some sort of device had to be used to fairly quickly  comb through all the people waiting to audition.  So, they were brought into the theater ten at a time, lined up on the stage and each was asked to do one double pirouette.  Anyone not successfully completing that was thanked and asked to leave.

I was thinking about the use of a double pirouette for that particular purpose. 

It's an interesting choice isn't it?

(I do recommend that DVD, by the way) :)

• Like 6

I found it not only interesting - but somehow sad - and yet there was a lot of joy too.

We got it at the public library.  I would like to watch it again.

Do you think a double pirouette is a good way to make the initial cut?  Would you pick something else?

I guess it's a good basic determiner of dance experience before they start looking at artistry etc. - but then so are a lot of other movements. I would imagine that it's fair to say all decent dancers should be able to do a good solid double. I wonder how many auditionees can't do them well? I can't remember, did they want turned out or jazz-style pirouettes?

Will look out for the DVD! When dd went for final audition for yr 7 voc place, they were asked to do single pirouettes and then one of the panel threw in a casual, 'You can do doubles if you like!' So even though she hadn't before, dd decided to have a go and it worked! Maybe the man on the panel had watched the same DVD!!

• Like 3

I think it's a pretty good indicator of a certain level of training, as well as balance, control, core stability, weight placement and stability in the supporting leg. A decent way to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were. I only hope that after that they then looked at the ability to actually dance!

• Like 3

The ability to do a double pirouette was the first cut.  After that those who remained (still a great many people - probably well over 100) were brought in groups and given a dance sequence to do.  The sequence was shown maybe twice and they had to execute it quickly - up to tempo - full out.  After that there was a voice audition and an acting audition.  Those who were left then had to compete against one another for specific roles.  Each call back took months and the whole thing lasted over a year,

So, one could do any one of those elements perfectly or even all the elements perfectly and still lose out.  A really tough business.

But - first - that double pirouette - without that one never got any further along. 

What was impressive was the amount of talent out there.

• Like 1

I have just watched the whole film via You Tube loved it!!!! Will definitely be showing this to elder DD when she is next home,as come this  September she will be starting a Diploma in Dance and MT, and one day she will be one of those 3000 queuing to do that double pirouette  ;)

• Like 4