6th form offers, waiting lists and funding

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

I am trying to work out exactly how places are offered after audition and would be interested to hear from anyone that applied for a 6th form place at vocational school this year. Please note - I am asking how, not why!!! Also, I know that things may be different for foreign students so would like to know the position as relating to a UK student.

I know that this will vary by school and some are probably more straightforward than others and thought that if I list the schools individually with my perceptions and questions then some of you helpoful people may be able to fill in the gaps for me and confirm if my thinking is correct!!!

Royal - As everyone is offered an MDS award I am assuming that you either get a straight yes, a straight no or a waiting list place. 

Central - is it the same as above because everyone is eligible for a loan?

Tring - this one seems much more complicated. I know that some existing students are able to keep their MDS funding but that DaDAs are available to newcomers. Is the process for newcomers similar in the 6th form as it is in lower school - i.e. most people that audition are offered a non-funded place with some students being offered an audition to decide if they can have a DaDA? What happens after the DaDA audition? Some will be offered a DaDA (if eligible) - do they maintain their place if they do not qualify for funding, on the basis that they can go if they can afford to pay? Do some people get wait listed for DaDAs but still have  a place if they can afford it? Do some people get told after the DaDA audition that they don't have a place at all? Any other information on this process gratefuuly received!

Elmhurst - I know that they offer DaDAs and presume that after the first audition you are either invited to the final or get a straight no. After the final audition, is it a straight yes to a DaDA, waiting list for a DaDA or a straight no? Are any non-funded places offered at the outset? Are those on the waiting liost for a DaDA offered a place without one if they can afford to pay? 

ENBS - as above?

Any information about this minefield would be really helpful in trying to work out what to do next year! Please PM me if you would rather not post your experience!

Many thanks.

Edited because for some reason the text posted itself half way through typing!!

Edited by mum in a spin

After DS final audition at Tring for 6th form in 2011, he was offered a non-funded place but would have had to pay a large deposit to secure this place which I think was non-refundable but I might be wrong. Also I think the deposit was £500 or more but can't remember exactly without finding the letter. We declined the non-funded place before he had the Dada funding audition.

He went to the Dada funding audition and after that went on the waiting list. He was offered a place from the waiting list a week or so later but by then he had accepted Central's offer as that is where he wanted to go.

Mum in a spin you were correct in your assumption regarding Central.

Those offered places have access to student finance and there is also a Conservatoire Scholarship Scheme which supports those on low income.

Additional costs hidden include BUPA £717 per year , Resource fee £120 , uniform £500

Guest Autumn days

Mods, please could the discussion about uniform costs be split into another thread to try and encourage people to answer my original question?

Does anyone have any experience of offers etc from any of the other schools? I am interested in the process, not the costs!