NYB Leotard sizing query!!

Clara

Just a quick question, I’m in the middle of completing all of the NYB paper work to send back and I’m a bit confused about the leotard sizes!! Dd is usually between a size 1 and 2 depending on the leotard and make. Her measurements are split between the I & M NYB leotard according to the size chart. Do I get her the one that may be a squeeze across the chest or the one that might be a bit baggy on the hips?! For those already with NYB who own leotards what would you advice?! Apologies for the slightly trivial question….but I want it to fit her!

I too am confused at the sizing.  My dd had a childs Medium leotard 2 years ago age 11 which is now far too small - looking at the size charts the child Large is bigger that the Ladies Small!  I am reallly not sure that to do! Definately worth getting a fleece as they do wear them alot during the day between classes and rehersals.

I'm not sure either. My dd has two Capezio leotards that are medium child and two that are large child. She prefers the mediums but I'm concerned now I've read this thread that they will be tight. However she hates baggy leotards and also finds Capezio leglines very low which she also hates. She falls right at the top of the medium childs measurements except the waist where she'd fit in a small!

So do I order a large childs and tumble dry it? How many are you all ordering?

I too unsure about sizing .... was going to go by the girth!! which in my ignorance I am presuming is nape to throat via crotch.

if anyone has NYB leotard/fleece from last year that they would like to sell on please Pm me..... thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't quite fathom out the sizing!! I have sent everything back today and have ordered the medium, so fingers crossed it fits and she's not too baggy around the bottom!!

Do they collect all of the merchandise once at Tring or do we get it before? Just wondering whether I'll be able to do any alterations if need be?!!

Last year we collected it once at Tring, but I think they had meant to send it out before hand but ran out of time.  And Belleballerina, I think you are right, I seem to remember someone comparing my dd's leotard (large child) with their's (small adult) and my dd's was very slightly larger!

I think the childs large versus adult small tends to be true of a lot of clothing, not just leotards. My elder DD went from size age 10/11 clothes to adult size 6 or extra small adults.  Age 12+ just swamped her, as did childs large leotards - My younger DD is having the same issue at the moment.  She is just too slim for childrens sizing which goes on height.  Francesizzi, your decsion to go by girth (you are measuring correctly) is what I found to be the best guide for getting leotards for my DDs that fit properly.

• Like 1

I've found it very difficult now being a retailer to size stock - all brands offer different fabrics, strap lengths etc There are different sizing codes and schemes = nightmare!

If you're measuring a leotard, do you measure it flat or stretched? If comparing leotards, flat measurements may be no good if comparing different fabric content, as degree of stretch may vary. If measuring a stretched leotard - how much to stretch? Lycra content makes this very subjective!

I tend to give a size guide, but some people are particular eg about age or size - @DD can't be in a 10y yet" - but I find the best way is too ignore the size on the label and try on and see what feels right!

• Like 2

I never stretch leotards, I hadn't thought of that! Unless it's a brand I know dd's size in, I usually order several and then have to faff about sending some back.

I do remember adult small looking smaller than child XL though, partly because the adult small were smaller at the waist than the "straight up and down" child sizes.