Ballet Theatre Uk - Alice in Wonderland

Wow - what a fantastic production was my reaction after watching this last night.  This company of only 12 dancers managed to beautifully create the wellknown characters of Wonderland and brought them to life with humour and charm.  There were some amazing costumes, in particular for the recreation of the Tea Party and some clever staging to recreate Alice drinking her potions and eating her cake to change size and above all for the portrayal of the caterpillar.  The role of Alice was danced by Jessica Hill.  She danced beautifully and with emotion and I particularly liked her pas de deux with the Knave of Hearts (Joseph Mackie-Graves)  I have to say though that as each dancer played several characters it is impossible to pick out any favourites.  This was a lively and entertaining production with lovely dancing, great music and plenty of humour.  It was visually very exciting with lots of small touches.  I am sure if I saw it again I would notice things I missed the first time around.  There were a large number of children in the audience last night, younger children with their families and from the excited chatter at the end I can surmise that most of them enjoyed the ballet as much as we did - my party consisting of my husband, teenage daughter and myself.

• Like 1

My local paper has an ad for performances at The Beck Theatre in Hayes.  Sunday 19th May, 2.00pm and 7.30pm. I feel tempted to go.  Maybe if I can get the lawn cut on Saturday I could go for one of the shows.

Wow - what a fantastic production was my reaction after watching this last night.  This company of only 12 dancers managed to beautifully create the wellknown characters of Wonderland and brought them to life with humour and charm.  There were some amazing costumes, in particular for the recreation of the Tea Party and some clever staging to recreate Alice drinking her potions and eating her cake to change size and above all for the portrayal of the caterpillar.  The role of Alice was danced by Jessica Hill.  She danced beautifully and with emotion and I particularly liked her pas de deux with the Knave of Hearts (Joseph Mackie-Graves)  I have to say though that as each dancer played several characters it is impossible to pick out any favourites.  This was a lively and entertaining production with lovely dancing, great music and plenty of humour.  It was visually very exciting with lots of small touches.  I am sure if I saw it again I would notice things I missed the first time around.  There were a large number of children in the audience last night, younger children with their families and from the excited chatter at the end I can surmise that most of them enjoyed the ballet as much as we did - my party consisting of my husband, teenage daughter and myself.

So glad you enjoyed this wonderful show, a master class I think in what you can do with a tiny budget as this company is self funded. Thank you so much for posting.

I did cut the lawn in time before the rains came and I have booked for 5 of us to go to the 2.00pm performance so that my youngest grandaughter can attend.  Who should I look out for.

The cast you should see is as follows-  Alice-   Julia Davies (just stunning and such fun)

Knave-  David Brewer  (who played Hatter in the performance 2dancersmum saw and 

has an incredibly expressive face, look out for his poker faced Butler )

Hatter- Joseph Mackie-Graves who is also hilarious as the Duchess

Queen-  Jessica Hill who as well as being a great Alice shows  her versatility with a deliciously

wicked Queen!                        

I do hope you enjoy it.!

There is another thread in the news forum which is where derails of where BTUK are performing have been posted.  They are in Tameside tonight and Tunbridge Wells on Sunday which has sold wonderfully well, the theatre has certainly done their job well there.

Can't say the same for Watersmeet in Rickmansworth  were the company are performing on Friday June 21st at 7.30pm.  Its accessible by tube so if anyone out there within easy distance of this venue fancies spending a pleasant 2 hours watching a top class touring company perform a fresh new production, they would really appreciate your support!  And its perfect for families.

Edited by hfbrew

We have also seen Alice in Wonderland. What a fantastic performance ! So refreshing .... perfect for family. Not too long, highly engaging, brilliant costumes, very clever and quirky use of props. But most of all I loved this performance because it made ballet accessible. It was a story with a whole cast effort, rather than a series of individual performances which some companies can present.

Hope to see alot more of this wonderful company. They will inspire many young dancers.

• Like 2

So glad you enjoyed this wonderful show, a master class I think in what you can do with a tiny budget as this company is self funded. Thank you so much for posting.

The cast you should see is as follows-  Alice-   Julia Davies (just stunning and such fun)

Knave-  David Brewer  (who played Hatter in the performance 2dancersmum saw and 

has an incredibly expressive face, look out for his poker faced Butler )

Hatter- Joseph Mackie-Graves who is also hilarious as the Duchess

Queen-  Jessica Hill who as well as being a great Alice shows  her versatility with a deliciously

wicked Queen!                        

I do hope you enjoy it.!

Just re read this and realise that I can no longer edit it,! Sorry but when I put the word "should" I meant that this is the cast due to be at 2pm at the Beck Theatre.(and do bear in mind things can change last minute!) Not  this is the cast you "should" watch. They are all brilliant at all roles! Hope this make sense?

Off to this tomorrow. Wonder who will be doing what? Looking forward to it.

Alice-  Jessica Hill

Knave- Joseph Mackie- Graves

Hatter- David Brewer (don't forget to cheer for me! ;) )

Queen-  Claire Corruble (great fun)

Dormouse - Julia Davies

March Hare- Luca Verone

White Rabbit- Kazuke Oike

Cheshire Cat- Natalie Cawte

Caterpillar- Vincent Cabot

Obviously this is subject to change but as far as I know all are fit and well so this should be the cast you will see. And all the company dancers  as usual will be performing multiple roles (except of course whoever plays Alice) .   I've only listed the main character roles but all 12 dancers feature prominently-no such thing as a performance off for any of them!

Very pleased to see such a goodly number of people going to Tunbridge Wells, if only I wasn't exam coaching.....

Enjoy everyone!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

I will be there in spirit! Very glad you are seeing this cast as besides Hatter,David gets to really dance as a card. You will see what I mean!

Thank you and yes really it was a roundabout way of finding out what part David was dancing:-) Really looking forward to it.

Thoroughly enjoyed today.  I'm going to mention David Brewer though seperately as he really stands out as both a lovely dancer and actor. Think I said this at Christmas too. The company, as any, does vary in standard but Mr Brewer is there at the top. I wonder how long they will be able to keep him?

The costumes are stunning. My daughter toured with a small acting company and they were severely let down by costumes but this company has the most wonderful, approriate and brilliant costumes. Would urge anyone to see this. This company is to be so commended.

• Like 1

I too thoroughly enjoyed Alice yesterday.  I found it witty, entertaining, and beautifully danced.  The costumes are amazing.  I am looking forward to Nutcracker in the Autumn and The Little Mermaid next year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks hfbrew I was going to ask for more info as not heard of until came on this Forum I would like to see them too so will check out website.

No problem. I know I am biased as my ds is in the company but Ballet Theatre UK  really is well worth a visit and they have received excellent reviews that are nothing to do with me!  The productions are all new and original with stunning costumes (made to fit the dancers not the other way round!) and the dancers really commit to every performance.   ( amongst travelling companies same is true of Northern and Ballet Black)

Alice is a real little gem, even my non Ballet fan step dad liked it! I have to say it is nothing like the Royal's version as being non subsidised it hasn't the same budget for starters!

Anyone within reach of Watersmeet, Rickmansworth on Friday June 21st?  (on underground network).   I will be going and would love to say hello to any ballet.coers!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

Have looked at touring dates and places etc and although may have missed this time if they go regularly to Tunbridge Wells that's probably easiest for me so will watch out for future performances. Ive never been there yet but there's also the Hawth in Horsham which seems to have some good productions on.....are they looking for new venues or overwhelmed already!! As there is also a theatre in Wimbledon is it the Rose....or is that the Kingston one? Will check but definitely the Wimbledon one has put on Ballet before. There are even a couple of smaller theatres here in Brighton....The Pavilion and The Corn Exchange which could be interested but if its a one off performance you may even fill the Dome.....especially if local schools are targeted with the info and the Company wants to do any outreach work. I'd be happy to distribute programmes to local schools and do some initial liaison work etc!! But this is assuming they may want to extend their current touring. Anyway will try to catch next time round.

Have looked at touring dates and places etc and although may have missed this time if they go regularly to Tunbridge Wells that's probably easiest for me so will watch out for future performances. Ive never been there yet but there's also the Hawth in Horsham which seems to have some good productions on.....are they looking for new venues or overwhelmed already!! As there is also a theatre in Wimbledon is it the Rose....or is that the Kingston one? Will check but definitely the Wimbledon one has put on Ballet before. There are even a couple of smaller theatres here in Brighton....The Pavilion and The Corn Exchange which could be interested but if its a one off performance you may even fill the Dome.....especially if local schools are targeted with the info and the Company wants to do any outreach work. I'd be happy to distribute programmes to local schools and do some initial liaison work etc!! But this is assuming they may want to extend their current touring. Anyway will try to catch next time round.

The company is always interested in new venues so do lobby your local theatres.  Especially if they are good at marketing . Sadly some theatres don't pull their weight. A lot of the Alice shows have been sold out this tour thanks to good local publicity and a growing army of returning fans (Tunbridge Wells for example) .  However others do next to no promotion which is heart-breaking for the dancers . 

So if anyone is within reach of Rickmansworth please go and support them on Friday June 21st!  Incidentally the performance lasts two hours including the interval, just perfect in y opinion!

• Like 1

I've just booked for Tamworth and I would say there were less than a third of the seats sold, which is really sad as I have seen BTUK a number of times and think they do a brilliant job bringing accessible ballets to the parts of the country other companies don't reach. Even my ballet hating elder dd asked to see this one having seen photos and being intrigued by the production aspects as a keen theatre fan. I have to say ticket prices are fantastic - 3 tickets for less than the price of 1 West End show! 

• Like 1

I have emailed the company to see if they would like any initial ground work in Brighton. Because in my final job I travelled round lots of schools so it's easier for me to do this sort of thing and now Ive more time a nice way to support ballet.

A couple of the schools also have girls who attend BBO classes in Brighton.....you can imagine my surprise when I turned up at a grade 5 class a year or so ago and a little voice said "oh hallo Miss Morris I didn't know you did ballet" I only went into that school once a week but the news had spread around a bit as suddenly the school secretary seemed to know all about it!!

My daughter has recently successfully auditioned as an associate with ballet theatre UK so as a well done present I have bought her tickets to see Alice at tamworth next weekend. She was over the moon and can't wait to watch! I will post a review after we have been.

• Like 1

Only five more chances to see this clever and innovative production!

TODAY  Fri 14th at 7.30pm - Theatre Royal, Margate - 01843 292795

Sat 15th at 7.30pm - Assembly Rooms, Tamworth - 01827 709618

Sun 16th at 3.00pm - South Hill Park, Bracknell - 01344 484123

Fri 21st at 7.30pm - Watersmeet, Rickmansworth - 01923 711063

Fri 28th at 7.30pm - Middlesbrough Theatre - 01642 815181

I do hope its ok to post this information.  Probably more "news" than performances seen but thought it best to stick to the one thread.

Well, we have been to see Alice tonight at tamworth as a well done present to my daughter who has been accepted onto btuk associate program. I have to say it was a fantastic performance thoroughly enjoyed by me, my daughter and even my husband who normally attends ballet performances under sufference !! It was lively, fun, creative and beautifully danced. There were so many bits we enjoyed particularly where Alice shrinks and grows, the mad hatters tea party and the caterpillar. A great performance and my dd is now even more excited to start associates in September and has asked for nutcracker tickets for her birthday in October!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...