is it possible that a change in teacher can suddenly....

Katymac

Sometimes when we hear a new voice - even though it is saying the same thing as the old voice - we suddenly hear it.

We tend to ignore sensory intake that is repetitive - like a noisy street.

That's why it is always a good idea (after basics are learned) to take class from another teacher.

• Like 2

It can happen with any academic subject if you change teacher, so I see no reason why it shouldn't happen for "physical" subjects such as dance, or sport.

Absolutely. I still remember getting a new teacher for organic chemistry at A level and literally one lesson later, topics that I had been struggling with for months had become absolutely simple and obvious. It was just like someone had switched a light on! No reason why the same thing can't happen with dance.

• Like 3

Agree with all of the above. Strangely for me, contemporary just one day clicked with the same teacher. A wonderful American lady taught Contemporary at Urdang called Terese Nelson. She was a bit eccentric, and used to moan at all us first years , none of whom had done any contemporary before. "You`re all bastardising Martha Graham", she would yell at us !!.We were all so balletic we didn`t have a clue. Then I remember distinctly in the second term, I suddenly "got it", and developed the same sense of inner feeling for it as I had for classical ballet. I`m sure I wasn`t the only one either. We just needed time to get used to something that was so different. She was a great teacher; used to teach it at Pineapple too, I think.

My daughter has had a new teacher since mid September. She has had a quite a dramatic effect on dd'S results in festivals. Also her associate reports have vastly improved. Although generally finds more to work on than the previous teacher, it is done in a very positive way.

• Like 1