rad exams

happy days

anyone been in this situation.  dates for dd exam means that she will.miss her coaching sessions, 4 weeks before exam including a session with the pianist as we are on holiday.  shes distraught and now having a wobble whether she should go ahead with exam.  shes already missed first exam session due to missing 3 months of her grade due to show rehearsals.  last session is not until november when she would have been studying the grade for 20 months and im worried that she will lose interest.  does anyone know if you can go to rad headquarters and do exam independently?

Sorry can I get this straight. Are you on holiday for the whole 4 weeks before the exam do she will miss her classes just prior or is there an exam practice 4 weeks before with the pianist she will miss.

I know children at dd's school who couldn't make exam practice (her teacher runs it like a mock exam with the children in the group of 3 or 4 they will perform with on the day). However they have a pianist every lesson. Exam practice is always the Sunday before the exam do usually just a couple if days beforehan

If she's going to miss all 4 normsl lessons before the exam then is say delay it.

sorry i was rambling after getting off the phone to my daughter who was in tears.  they are 2 exams taking place withjn weeks of each other.  my daughter is in the later one as we are on holiday for the first one.  the pianist only comes in for one session.  the coaching for both exams starts 4 weeks prior to first exam in june.  we are on holiday for 3weeks and will definitely be away for pianist session and prob 2 other sessions.  i think she got worried as her friend did her pianist session yesterday for her exam in may and said that it was so different and they all made mistakes.  she doesnt want to move up with out doing the exam.  its grade 6 and she wnts to complete them all.  i have paid but just told the teacher to hold on submitting her application until we can sort out what she wants to do.  ive spoken to her teacher who understands her fears. im just hoping she can sort something out

Poor thing.

My dd's school obviously organises things differently as they don't have any special exam sessions except for the one mock exam I mentioned where parents can watch

It's also common to miss exams. Dd missed her primary simply because we transferred from another school and time tabling meant she had to straight to grade 1

Will your dd know all the work before you go? If so she might be a bit rusty but should be fine. Did the teacher not say that's when the exams would be.

I'd let your dd decide what she would like to do.

• Like 1

If your daughter knows the work and the teacher considers her ready to take the exam AND your daughter doesn't want to go up without actually taking the exam then I would tell her to go ahead with it. I would suggest though that she make time to practise even when you're away on holiday. Can you get her the music to practise to? It's a great pity that she won't be able to rehearse with the exam pianist, but hopefully, she'll cope. If you take your exam at Headquarters you don't get a rehearsal with the pianist first, so as long as she listens and responds to the music it's not so terrible. I have to say that I am surprised that they only have one rehearsal with the exam pianist - it is different working with a pianist rather than from a CD, because it's not a recording which never changes. On the other hand it's easier to respond to "live" music. Perhaps her teacher would agree to give her an extra coaching session when you get back from holiday?

Honestly - the worst thing that can happen is that she might get a lower mark than she would have done and that can happen to the most prepared pupil under the stress of exam pressures. I always tell my students that working for the exam is what really counts and not the result, as, however many guidelines they put in place, it all boils down to the opinion of one person, who sees them dance the exam once through over a period of less than an hour. It's the hard work that they put into preparing for the exam that makes them improve and advance, and, whatever the result, that is what is important.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 3

At my dd's school they never have a rehearsal with any pianist let alone the exam pianist. It has never been a problem for my dd, although for her last RAD exam the pianist was the one she'd had for her JA classes for three years, so she was quite used I him.

• Like 2

I would definitely speak to the teacher to ask her opinion as to whether she could do an extra practice when she gets back from holiday. She may be even able to organise with the pianist, though you might have to pay for the pianist yourself but if it puts your DDs mind at ease I would say its worth it. The teacher should know if your DD would be ready for the exam especially if she practices when she is on holiday.

If she has been studying the grade for 20 months she should be good and ready even for thse higher grades.

Good luck hope it all works out,

Dramascientist

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks dramascientist.  it has given her a real boost and she is even taking her DVD on our first part of our holiday  to practice as we are renting a house in Scotland which has excellent floor space. Better than our house house for practicing.