2013 Olivier Awards for Dance

The Olivier Awards for dance this year have just been awarded. The winners are... *drumroll*

Best New Dance Production - Aeternum (chor. by Christopher Wheeldon)

Outstanding Achievement in Dance - Marianela Nuñez

A huge congrats to both!

• Like 6

Thanks for saving me the trouble of watching it all, David. 

Considering I was in Covent Garden until around 4 pm yesterday, I'm amazed to see what's been set up since then.  When you think of how many days Bow Street is cluttered with stuff pre-BAFTAs, those involved seem to have done a very good job of dressing the Piazza and the ROH very quickly.

Unfortunately the Awards weren't being shown on TV live this year - instead there's a 'highlights' show. I'll be interested to know if either of the Dance Awards get shown (my guess is they won't!). 

I'm also amazed how quickly they dress up/down the ROH - they had Bayadere and Zauberflöte performing on Saturday (I didn't notice any Oliviers stuff  - all I saw was an HD video van outside the piazza entrance to the ROH), and Zauberflöte again tomorrow night so it'll all have to be done in under 48 hours. Impressive stuff!

• Like 2

Not sure if that's a statement or a question, eliamato, but the dance awards part of the ceremony as broadcast on Sunday only showed a brief glimpse of Marienela shyly thanking everyone for her award - I almost missed her because she was nearly unrecognisable with  elaborably styled and darkened hair!  There was also mention of Christopher Wheeldon as the recipient of a choreographic award, but there wasn't even enough time to read the subtitled information on what the award was.  A shame they couldn't spare more time on both Marienela's and Christopher's awards.

• Like 1

Not sure if that's a statement or a question, eliamato, but the dance awards part of the ceremony as broadcast on Sunday only showed a brief glimpse of Marienela shyly thanking everyone for her award - I almost missed her because she was nearly unrecognisable with  elaborably styled and darkened hair!  There was also mention of Christopher Wheeldon as the recipient of a choreographic award, but there wasn't even enough time to read the subtitled information on what the award was.  A shame they couldn't spare more time on both Marienela's and Christopher's awards.

Yes it was a question.

Sorry....My fault to pose question.

And thanks for your answer.

Yes I've seen on streaming from Italy the ceremony. I noticed just a flash of Marianela speech.

It's a pity that they didn't give due importance to dance. 

• Like 1