• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was lucky enough to be there again last night - second time round to see Watson.  I definitely think he is now the definitive Rudolf, having taken over from Johan Kobborg whom, up till now, I didn't think anyone could touch.  It was wonderful night although quite why Alan Titchmarsh was needed to introduce it to the big screen audiences is beyond me.  Is he meant to the acceptable face of ballet for the masses?

What an audience, what an ovation. One tiny thing - think Emma Maguire is the top Princess Stephanie. 

I feel glutted after three Mayerling's all of them deeply emotional.  And to the idiot bloke in the white T-shirt in the Stalls who sat there playing with his mobile phone until an attendant crawled down the aisle to stop him - get a life or go somewhere else.  We don't want you at ROH.

Penelope, I would guess that Alan Tichmarsh is a well known personality who may draw in more people.  I believe his wife was a dancer and he was certainly an entertaining and knowledgeable compere of the BRB Sinfonia's Evening of Music and Dance.

As for your comment about the idiot with his phone - they are not wanted in any theatre!

This is for Jenny Taylor. I am so jeaulous you have been again and again to Mayerling.

Count yourself very luck, but is that part of your job?

Sorry don't mean to be nosy. Enjoy it.

Hello Blackqueen. No it's not part of my job - I'm just a fan and this week has been super indulgent, but absolutely unbelievable in terms of level and emotion of performances. I don't usually go this often, and don't get the same level of satisfaction from other ballets. Over the years I have developed my favourites and Mayerling is right up there at the top (with Manon).  I wanted to see every cast as the principals' interpretation is so different and all performances bring such contrasts. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to be present.

• Like 1

Was lucky enough to be there again last night - second time round to see Watson.  I definitely think he is now the definitive Rudolf, having taken over from Johan Kobborg whom, up till now, I didn't think anyone could touch.  It was wonderful night although quite why Alan Titchmarsh was needed to introduce it to the big screen audiences is beyond me.  Is he meant to the acceptable face of ballet for the masses?

What an audience, what an ovation. One tiny thing - think Emma Maguire is the top Princess Stephanie. 

I feel glutted after three Mayerling's all of them deeply emotional.  And to the idiot bloke in the white T-shirt in the Stalls who sat there playing with his mobile phone until an attendant crawled down the aisle to stop him - get a life or go somewhere else.  We don't want you at ROH.

He is often at the ballet, Penelope.  He is obviously a big fan, and I think he might have something to do with it behind the scenes.

Three times this season I've sat through Mayerling, watched Sarah Lamb as Larisch and thought "Just think, that was originally supposed to be Alexandra Ansanelli".  I wonder what the performances would have been like if it had been?

I'd have to be honest and say that Sarah Lamb hasn't always been my favourite dancer, beautiful and accomplished as she undoubtedly is, but her Larsich on Thursday was truly outstanding: varied, compelling, manipulative, and really bringing out in that wonderful tournée in Act 3 Scen 2 that she genuinely loves Rudolf. It was a great evening and I will write more when I have gathered my thoughts regarding that and also the Acosta / Benjamin cast from the other week,

My favourite Larischs' were Marianela, closely followed by Sarah Lamb and Laura Morera. What an emotional roller coaster this run of Mayerling has given to us. Just amazing performances and fabulous farewells for Mara and Leanne. I feel privileged and fortunate to have been present at so many performances.   

It was brilliant. First, Carlos presented her to the audience in the curtain calls and stood back and applauded. Then more flowers and applause in the cast curtain calls. Then the male principals came on one by one to present Leanne with bouquets. Ed Watson, Nehemiah Kish, Frederico Bonelli,  Steven McRae and Thiago Soares. It was wonderful. In one of the red curtain calls, her son came on and presented her with flowers too. Not a dry eye in the house.

Lovely also that Brian Maloney has a spot to himself and a flower throw both from the slips but also from behind the red curtain as the dancers also threw flowers at him. Very nice as it must be difficult to leave at the same time as such a prominent star.

• Like 5

I'd obviously missed Kish - not used to seeing the dancers in mufti, apart from Watson, who I'd passed on the way in anyway.  (He too got a big cheer, BTW, which I suppose is fitting since he's probably been her most frequent partner in recent years).

Oh, and I wanted to know whether Brian had done the customary "in drag" bit for men who are leaving, or whether he was spared that through having a named role - I assumed it would have to have been in Act I, since otherwise he'd have been in costume as Bratfisch.

It was brilliant. First, Carlos presented her to the audience in the curtain calls and stood back and applauded. Then more flowers and applause in the cast curtain calls. Then the male principals came on one by one to present Leanne with bouquets. Ed Watson, Nehemiah Kish, Frederico Bonelli,  Steven McRae and Thiago Soares. It was wonderful. In one of the red curtain calls, her son came on and presented her with flowers too. Not a dry eye in the house.

Leanne's: http://imgur.com/fakqoU0

Mara's: http://imgur.com/6IS0dEP

• Like 1