• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just in case he's reading this, merde to Benn Gartside for his debut tonight.  Sadly, I shall be there in spirit but not in person - although come to think of it, the "person" will only be a couple of hundred yards down the road anyway.

• Like 3

He was very good. The final PDD with Mara was heartbreaking. She obviously had complete confidence in his partnering. A fine reward for a wonderful company dancer. At the final curtain there was long silence before the applause broke out. To me a sure sign that the audience had been completely drawn in to the tragedy. After that tremendous applause for Gartside. Hats off also to Maguire, Kobayashi, McNally and Hay for fine support.

• Like 5

Any dancer getting through the role of Rudolf without collapsing done more than just 'good', and I thought Ben done brilliant, as a matter of fact!  Many, many congratulations to him, as well as to Mara (last night probably marked the last chance I shall have to see her dance before she retires and I only wish I could have waited at the stage door to express my admiration and gratitude  personally).  I thought everyone pulled out all the stops last night, and if I could single out anyone it would have to be Emma Maguire for making me understand at last what the wedding-night pdd was all about -  MacMillan's choreography suddenly clarified both her terror of Rudolf and Rudolf's own helplessness and desperation.  Magnificent dancing from both Emma and Ben here.

And speaking of magnificent, what a magnificent overall production the RB's 'Mayerling' is.  I can't imagine any other company matching it,  though I believe there are now actually two Russian companies performing it.  Can this be true?  Does anyone have any details of either or both productions?

• Like 2

Yes, the Stanislavsky - Sergei Polunin got very good reviews in it a few weeks ago, although I wondered at the time how many of those writers had any other experience of the ballet to compare it with.

I can't believe it's 35 years since I first saw Mayerling, and last night was a good marker, a new untried Rudolf who only got to dance it as a replacement, let's hope Bennet Gartside is given more performances in future runs to consolidate the hard work put in, at times he was up there with the best, the first pdd with Mary Vetsera in particular, what an ending to the second act that is!

I've never seen a performance that didn't work, due to the power of the choreography, plus the fact that this is a real story, I think this is why it always brings out the best in the dancers.

A belated post, but Thursday's performance still hovers powerfully in the mind. It is always sad when dancers are off due to injury, but it was a joy to see this unexpected casting. For me Galeazzi is definitive as Mary Vetsera. A stunning performance. In a tremendous debut, Gartside was the most moving Rudolf I can remember, giving a profound study of alienation and despair. They danced wonderfully together. Maguire, McNally and Kobayashi were all outstanding. A very special evening. As Tony Newcombe comments above, the long silence before final applause says it all.

• Like 2

Josephine:  I don't know about what might be online - and I've looked in some obvious places without success - but the Dancing Times ran a feature on Zen in its May 2007 issue, if you can find it, headed with a lovely picture of her in Empress Elizabeth outdoor dress posed, I think, on the bridge between the ROH and Royal Ballet Upper School.  The picture was credited to Angela Taylor.

Many thanks again, Ian Macmillan, both from me and from the friend who made this request. She bought this edition on Amazon, and is thrilled to have such a lovely picture of Zen!

Edited by Ian Macmillan
To eliminate a lot of accidental white space beneath the post!
  • Like 1

I'm interested to know what everyone thought about Bennet Gartside and Mara. I saw the performance last night and thought it grew in intensity and the Bennet gave a very empathetic portrayal of Rudolf and absolutely gave it his all. Mara was exemplary as always.

• Like 1

BTW, I notice there's a matinee this Friday, and that the expensive seats seem to have sold pretty well.  Has there been an offer on that I've missed?  I'd have said the sales patterns seem to suggest that.

BTW, I notice there's a matinee this Friday, and that the expensive seats seem to have sold pretty well.  Has there been an offer on that I've missed?  I'd have said the sales patterns seem to suggest that.

There was one a few days ago for the more expensive tickets but the reduction wasn't that great - £70, £68 and £64 tickets all reduced to £52.  Tickets had to be booked by today.

Here's the original link:

http://www.tmdeals.co.uk/cheap-mayerling-tickets?camefrom=CFC_UK_BUYAT_123227

There was one a few days ago for the more expensive tickets but the reduction wasn't that great - £70, £68 and £64 tickets all reduced to £52.  Tickets had to be booked by today.

Here's the original link:

http://www.tmdeals.co.uk/cheap-mayerling-tickets?camefrom=CFC_UK_BUYAT_123227

Thanks, Bluebird - as I suspected, well out of my price range.  The page looks distinctly unwell today.  I'll have to wait and see if I can clear all my work in time for tomorrow.

Thanks, Bluebird - as I suspected, well out of my price range.  The page looks distinctly unwell today.  I'll have to wait and see if I can clear all my work in time for tomorrow.

Indeed, it looks most unwell!  May 1 was the last day to take advantage of it. It was fine when I checked it last night with 9 minutes to go.  It must have expired at midnight.

Saw the Pennefather/ Hamilton matinee today. Christ, those two have chemistry. Pennefather's dancing was brilliant throughout. I didn't think he projected the character of Rudolph enough in scene 1 as I was struggling to work out how he felt, and to whom, but he improved in scenes 2 and 3 and hit his stride in acts 2 and 3. Hamilton was also brilliant, and the final pas de deux was extraordinary. Really great pairing, and it would be good to see them in more together.

The rest of the cast were really good, though I was struggling to tell characters apart. A lot of the females seem to have similar wigs on and i'm still not entirely sure who was who.

I too was extremely impressed by Rupert's performance today. I felt that he enabled the character and madness of Rudolf to unfold well as the ballet progressed and his partnership with Melissa was electrifyingly good. 

• Like 1

I too was extremely impressed by Rupert's performance today. I felt that he enabled the character and madness of Rudolf to unfold well as the ballet progressed and his partnership with Melissa was electrifyingly good. 

Agree. Is it just me that kept getting Stephanie , Marie Larisch and Empress Elisabeth confused though? Maybe I was too far away from the stage, or i'm just an idiot, but I swear this must be the most confusing ballet ever created.

I agree, Capybara.  I thought’ Rupert’s performance was absolutely stunning.  Since I was sitting pretty close to the stage, I had the advantage of seeing every nuance of characterisation and, from the start, I thought it was simply superb.  He has the regal bearing and charisma to make it totally believable that he was a successful womaniser (historically speaking – it says so in the programme) and you see the effect he has almost immediately on Romany Pajdak’s beautifully danced Princess Louise, but within just a few minutes he demonstrates very clearly how he yearns to get his mother’s attention by his constant, uncertain glances in her direction.  By the time he goes to her apartments, he is desperate and I found this scene heart-breaking as Rupert brought a real vulnerability to Rudolf (which the audience needs to feel if they are to have any sympathy at all with him and, I believe, some sympathy is necessary to fully appreciate the tragedy of the situation). Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani was excellent as Empress Elizabeth, stiffly incapable of showing affection to her son but readily melting in Gary Avis’s arms (always terrific as Bay Middleton) and again at that point, Rupert successfully conveys his unhappiness, isolation and vulnerability simply standing still watching them.  The pas-de-deux with Lizzie Harrod as Princess Stephanie was amazing – he was like a cat toying with a mouse, and she projected utter terror, being thrown around like a rag doll.  It is testament to both her courage and Rupert’s ever strong and reliable partnering that she, such a tiny dancer, was able to leap at his back from seemingly a mile behind him!  Itzi made a very convincing Marie Larisch, and again the various pas-de-deux between her and Rupert were some of the smoothest I have seen. I was very moved by the scene where she finds Rudolf slumped in a drug-induced stupor.  With the appearance of Melissa’s Mary Vetsera, the chemistry in the air was almost palpable.  As others have mentioned, the final scenes were electrifying.  I found that I was holding my breath, and at one point realised that there was complete silence in the auditorium – always a sign that the audience is gripped by the action before them.   I was utterly blown away by the whole performance, but especially by Rupert, and am thanking my lucky stars I have a ticket for this casting again on 10th June. 

• Like 5

I'm a big Melissa Hamilton fan so naturally was at yesterday's matinee.Thought her portrayal of Mary Vetsera was terrific but maybe I'm biased! Rupert's dancing and acting was first class and as mentioned by others both he and Melissa took it to another level in Act 3.

It sounds like all of the casts so far have been amazing. I hope Soares and Cuthbertson are as good on 1 June!

I saw Melissa Hamilton in Las Hermanas last November and although I haven't a clue about technical prowess, I thought she had fantastic stage presence :) Wonder if she'll be promoted this year?

Thank you ElleC. The fact that you have taken the trouble to write at such length and so positively about  Mayerling yesterday is, in itself, a wonderful testimony to the performances of Rupert, Melissa and the essential characters around them. I am sure that Rupert in particular would be very touched and very heartened to know how much you and others appreciate him.

• Like 2

Still thinking about the Pennefather/ Hamilton performance today, it was that good.

One of the things I think worked really well is that both Melissa and Rupert look very young, which makes it quite tragic (I have no idea how old the characters are supposed to be). I'm hopefully going to see either Watson or Acosta soon, and I wonder if having a slightly older dancer changes the dynamic at all. Will be interesting to find out.

Edited by chrischris

......I was struggling to tell characters apart. A lot of the females seem to have similar wigs on and i'm still not entirely sure who was who.

Too true, I think the lighting needs to give more help.   Someone near me recently couldn't even work out what happened to Vetsera at the end.  I went home frivolously pondering how much time the Royal Ballet spend dressed in orange and brown: this, a lot of Manon, Romeo & Juliet, Giselle and Swan Lake 1st acts, Rite of Spring - any more?

And speaking of magnificent, what a magnificent overall production the RB's 'Mayerling' is.  I can't imagine any other company matching it,  though I believe there are now actually two Russian companies performing it.  Can this be true?  Does anyone have any details of either or both productions?

The Vienna State Ballet also performs Mayerling (same sets and costumes as RB) and it certainly adds something to the experience when you come out of the opera house and walk down the very streets which Rudolf and co.  would have walked down.

• Like 1