ENB's Ecstasy and Death, 2013

Well, that's very decent of Alban to come and guest twice at very short notice. It must have been a struggle to get to London for the Sunday matinee after performing on Saturday night in Copenhagen. It's a good job that there were no transport delays which might have been expected with the Marathon being on.

Artistically a good programme and well performed but it failed to fill the theatre unlike audiences for some of the visiting companies.

Which 'visiting companies' have succeeded in filling the theatre?  I can't, at this moment, remember any in the recent past!  When the Mikhailovsky were there the management had to close the balcony on a number of occasions and BRB had a number of special offers for Aladdin but still needed to close the balcony for some performances.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

I notice that Boston Ballet is making a big effort to market its performances well ahead of time. Perhaps the company has heard about poor ticket sales for BRB, the Mikhailovsky, the Peter Schaufuss Company and ENB at the Coliseum in recent weeks. As well as sending out letters last month and handing out flyers outside the Coliseum last week, Boston Ballet placed a half page advertisement in The Times yesterday. Interestingly, NBoC's R&J and Northern Ballet's Great Gatsby (as well as San Francisco Ballet last September) have all sold very well at Sadler's Wells.

Edited by aileen

Plus, Gatsby is based on the well-known Robert Redford film and R+J was of course a Baz Luhrmann film with Leonardo DiCaprio. The trick is to get Natalie Portman interested in their next Triple Bill. :D

• Like 3

I notice that Boston Ballet is making a big effort to market its performances well ahead of time. Perhaps the company has heard about poor ticket sales for BRB, the Mikhailovsky, the Peter Schaufuss Company and ENB at the Coliseum in recent weeks. As well as sending out letters last month and handing out flyers outside the Coliseum last week, Boston Ballet placed a half page advertisement in The Times yesterday. Interestingly, NBoC's R&J and Northern Ballet's Great Gatsby (as well as San Francisco Ballet last September) have all sold very well at Sadler's Wells.

Boston Ballet are bringing 2 great triple bills but the prices are higher than ENB (where I sit in the Dress Circle and Balcony at any rate) and I can't see them selling well unless we have the usual offers, the Coliseum has created this problem where everyone sits and waits for offers instead of booking in advance, I don't know how to solve it unless prices are reduced for triple bills as they are at the ROH, I would have thought SW would have been much better for this Company anyway.

I feel that too many overseas companies are coming to London this year and that they have over-estimated the size, enthusiasm and finances of the ballet audience. There's a rumour that the Stanislavsky Ballet is also coming this Summer, presumably with Sergei Polunin as the main draw.