RB period 2 casting

I've just checked the ROH website for the casting tomorrow night, and found that Lauren Cuthbertson and Rupert Pennefather (both supposedly injured on Thursday) have been replaced as Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince (or whatever he's called here) by Marianela Nunez and Nehemiah Kish in tomorrow night's early show.

Because I wasn't sure at the time from the phrasing whether it was just Pennefather who was injured and they'd replaced the pairing for convenience as a result - Cuthbertson hadn't mentioned any injury at the time on her Twitter account (she has since).

Welcome (back), Lee.

Guest chinafish

This is now on the ROH website:

Cast change notification:Saturday 7 January 2012, 2.30pm

Due to injury Lauren Cuthbertson is unable to dance the role of The Sugar Plum Fairy and will be replaced by Akane Takada for this performance.

Due to injury Rupert Pennefather is unable to dance the role of The Prince and will be replaced by Dawid Trzensimiech for this performance.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice, wouldn't it? I know who I'd pick (assuming the other two potential candidates aren't available). I'd allow that getting someone ready by tomorrow would be pushing it, perhaps, but certainly it ought to be possible by later in the run.

Oberon on 9 Feb will be Marcelo Gomes.

Hmm. One of the signature works of the Royal Ballet, and they apparently can't field two (or more) Oberons. That's really not good.

Not BP2 I know, but Lauren's partner for R&J and Alice will be Federico Bonelli, and Sarah Lamb will be partnered in Alice by Stephen McRae. So that means we may have a new mad hatter to see!

I don't think even Steven can manage to dance both roles at once :)

Edit: and with hindsight, it appears that I *could* have gone to Nunez' and Soares' only public Romeo & Juliet, too :(

Edited by alison

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this isn't casting, but it is Period 2 (sorry, Winter booking period).

I was just looking at the March Saturday schedule for the Romeo & Juliets:

3rd: 12.30 matinee, followed by 7.30 opera (over 3 hours!).

10th: 1.30 matinee, 7.00 evening

24th: Alice 12.30 matinee, Romeo 7.30

31st: Alice 12.30 matinee, Romeo 7.30

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Whatever happened to the "early evening start" Saturdays? Admittedly, the two performances on the 10th won't require a vast amount of scenery changes, but with Romeo running just under 3 hours and Alice allegedly 2 3/4 (and presumably switching between two productions will take more time, even with all the hi-tech scene-changing equipment they now have), that gives a clear 4-hour gap between performances. Not enough time to rehearse an opera, I suspect, and surely the dancers can't be expected to do 2 performances and a stage rehearsal. Or can they?!

• 4 weeks later...

Ed's going to have a lot of busy weekends this month, obviously. Just as well they didn't replace Polunin with him as well, I guess (edit: actually, doubly so, otherwise he'd have had 2 performances within 12 hours!).

Edited by alison

Interesting to note that when both Polunin and (in the previous season) Acosta were unavailable/unable to dance Romeo the information was added to the bottom of the blurb about the ballet on the ROH website. That hasn't (yet) happened this time, I'm surprised to see.