Anyone's DD or DS going to Northern Ballet Manchester in Sept?

thewayforward

Hello thebutties, I moved your post into a specific topic in Doing Dance.

The Ugly Duckling is by Northern Ballet in Leeds, which is a completely separate company.

Good luck to your daughter, please keep us posted on progress!

• Like 1

ha ha! Sorry I put it all in the wrong place! yes my DD has got a number of places but Hammond and Northern (Manchester) with DaDA's. She is not definite about which she will choose yet but most likely Northern. Just wanted peoples views, opinions, advice really and if anyone in same position.

We have received the DaDA offer from Northern but not Hammond as yet. She is more classical ballet hence why we leaning towards Northern now.

• Like 2

Thank you BalletBloch, I did see that on their website but I think DD1 is still too young as she's only 15 and she also wants to finish the 3 years course she's in at the moment. She has one year left to do hence the idea of auditioning for entering the school in the year 2014-2015...

Afab. I would def wait til nxt year for your dd to audition. Girls need to be 16 to start the course, plus they have to live unsupervised in student hostels. My dd auditioned this yr - the audition is run on just one single day. It begins with a tour of the school & the opportunity to observe a couple of classes. This is followed by.a talk in the theatre by the Principal & chance to ask questions. Students then go off for their audition (which is a ballet class & jazz routine), followed by an interview & physio assessment. Hope this helps.

Thank you Its her life! It helps a lot... Was your DD successful if you don't mind me asking?

Last question, does somebody know the timetable once accepted. I mean how many hours do they dance a week or what time do they finish everyday? DD will still have one year to do to finish her A'levels on her own and I wonder if it is doable at all...

If not, she can always audition the next year. Schools like Tring and Elmhurst are more 'strict' with age requirements whereas Northern are very different. I know of a girl who received an offer from the college at the age of 18 and again 19, both offers with funding. Another dancer I knew got in at 17. So don't be disheartened if it all is too much in one year. I like that about Northern... it's more about your talent and potential rather than your age and how much you already know and can do, which is what I find with many schools

• Like 1

Yes BalletBloch, that's what we had planned at first, her auditioning at 17 having finished A'levels. But then the dance school she's in bumped her one level up which means she'll be finished with that school one year before academic school and then we don't know what to do dance wise for that gap year!!! She can't stop dancing or she would jeopardize her chances at auditions the year after... It's all a bit tricky!

Congratulations to your DD, Its Her Life!

I have had ex students at both of these schools and they are both excellent! One is currently at the Hammond in her first year at 6th form and is loving it so much she doesn't want to come home for the holidays! :) The student who went to Northern loved her time there and has had employment in the industry since graduating nearly 2 years ago. One of my teachers also trained at the Northern and worked non stop since she graduated 8 years ago! She always speaks highly of her training at Northern. Dd's friend was at Hammond from year 7 to graduating she loved it and thrived their gaining her RAD Solo seal amongst other qualifications and got a job with a touring musical theatre show straight after graduating and is now in a ballet company. All these schools offer fabulous training my advice is go where you dd feels is the right one for her and you won't make the wrong choice! Good luck with it all!

• Like 5

Hi Afab, sorry I have not been on to get your messages, I think you have all the answers from others by now. My DD has got a DaDA for Northern, found out about a week after the audition in January but didnt get it confirmed cost wise until this week as they have to sort all the paperwork due to the means testing.

They send out a letter stating you have a place with a DaDA or you have a place without a DaDA or you dont have a place. Very straightforward, like the principle there who gives a very direct and informative speech at the audition.

The area is not the best looking but is good location wise and transport wise, train station is 5 mins walk away.

Most accommodation is within walking distance and its all in student land of university's and music schools.

We are still undecided as to Hammond or Northern as both have their pluses and minuses, still making our mind up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...