Fabulous Beast Dance Theatre - The Rite of Spring & Petrushka, April 2013

I remember not much liking the Michael Keegan-Dolan Rite of Spring when it premiered in 2009. My old thoughts with some gorgeous Johan Persson pics are at:
http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_09/dec09/bm_rev_fabulous_beast_dance_theatre_1209.htm

This gives some of the flavour:
"On the other hand in Rite of Spring Michael Keegan-Dolan has all his boys (practically the entire cast in this production) strip right off and shimmy, impressively fit bodily bits swinging all over. Obviously this can't go on and so a convenient washing line of fetching floral dresses is appropriated. This might be fine if the tribe were transvestites and it were set in a deliciously camp club. Sadly not, for these gentlemen appeared to start out as Tweedy, heavily bearded, farmers at a country sale and rather impressive they all looked too. Then we get the killing of an older farmer, the rape of some girls, the changing into dogs and hares (great masks it has to be said)... and at the end all the bog-trotting Lady-boys die in the snow and the Chosen One, a real girl, triumphs in her bra and knickers. The night I was there we decided not to riot."

I remember being out of kilter with many of the critics and this run I see that Judith Mackrell (Guardian) has already given it 4 stars:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/apr/12/rite-of-spring-petrushka-review

Graham Watts is reviewing for DanceTabs (thank goodness!) and I look forward to running his words soon. In the meantime we have a gallery by the lovely Foteini Christofilopoulou and here are a couple of shots for your delectation...

8645297176_df6a709c9d_z.jpg
Anna Kaszuba (centre) in Petrushka
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

8645296118_1a86b8d078_c.jpg
Ino Riga in The Rite of Spring
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Foteini Christofilopoulou's Fabulous Beast - Rite of Spring, Petrushka Gallery
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 1