Paris Opera Ballet - La Bayadere Cinema Showing?

Thank you for the info - what a shame it clashes with RB R&J as I'd rather have seen La Bayadere especially as my attempt to get a ticket last year at the Opera Garnier resulted in possible the worst seat I've ever had at a ballet and I could only see 20% so it would have been nice to see a proper view of it - will have to buy the DVD if it is published!

If forced to choose, I'd have preferred Bayadère for the rarity value, too, but of course it's only right that UK taxpayers should get a chance to see the companies they fund. Both would have been nice, though.

I should add that POB can very very slow about DVD releases. Raymonda, which was filmed in December 2008 has still not been released. That production has now been retired and will never be seen again on stage. A great pity.

I should add that POB can very very slow about DVD releases. Raymonda, which was filmed in December 2008 has still not been released. That production has now been retired and will never be seen again on stage. A great pity.

Interesting to know - thank you. I saw Raymonda that year it was OK but not their best work IMHO.

I did too. Three or was it four times?

And I have to agree with you. Not their best work. The production, Nureyev's first for the company in the early 80s, was not popular with the current dancers, and sadly, it showed. No surprise that it was axed from the repertoire.

The hopefully eventual DVD release will at least be a HD record of the production, which was the fifth and most succcessful version of his re-imagining of Raymonda.

The recent La Scala production, which was apparently a faithful recreation of the original, does not compare, IMHO.

i adore raymonda & have been hoping for that dvd for ages - it is my favourite of the full length classics both musically & dancewise (have to make allowances for the "story"!) - there are lots of wonderful sequences in the dvd from the dancer's dream series but it is not the whole ballet which i was hoping & assuming might still be revived again - the grand nureyev productions which paris preserves are usually brought out again in rotation to fill the bastille seasons & theatre which is enormous - by the way the latest filmed performance has been shown - on portuguese television at least - so perhaps sky arts could be persuaded to get hold of it and show it here?

not sure if this is proper place to add this but perhaps someone will start new topic if that is better - POB announced their 12/13 season yesterday and sad to see no Raymonda - the big Nureyev production which will be occupying the bastille from mid-november to new year's eve will be his Don Q ?Aurelie and brand new etoile M. Hoffalt together again?? also there will be a gala on 6 march marking presumably 20 years and 2 months since Rudolf's death - had to queue to get onto website this morning as subscriptions start booking today!!!

het national's 12/13 season was announced too the other day - their website is all in dutch - unsurprisingly - but which regrettably i don't understand - does it say a christopher wheeldon production of full length Cinderella presumably for their christmas show??

not sure if this is proper place to add this but perhaps someone will start new topic if that is better - POB announced their 12/13 season yesterday and sad to see no Raymonda - the big Nureyev production which will be occupying the bastille from mid-november to new year's eve will be his Don Q ?Aurelie and brand new etoile M. Hoffalt together again?? also there will be a gala on 6 march marking presumably 20 years and 2 months since Rudolf's death - had to queue to get onto website this morning as subscriptions start booking today!!!

het national's 12/13 season was announced too the other day - their website is all in dutch - unsurprisingly - but which regrettably i don't understand - does it say a christopher wheeldon production of full length Cinderella presumably for their christmas show??

Give us a link and I'll try and see if I can understand it :). I'm really surprised if DNB don't have an English version of their website, given that Dutch is such a minority language. I thought it was only people like the ROH who didn't bother with such things as translations.

Edit: actually, this sort of thing - with links - could usefully go in News. (Edit: duh! We are in News. As a separate item, I meant). And it reminds me that - especially since we now have a thread up covering the "Germanic" countries - I've been meaning to bemoan the fact that we never seem to have any coverage of POB. I was aware that Hoffalt had been promoted, but since I don't think I'd even registered his name before last year's run of Onegin I didn't really know anything about him.

Edited by alison

Am I the only one who finds POBs website atrociously bad - slow to load, and we still can't pick our own seats let alone find a proper numbered seat map of the theatres! I think the 12/13 rep is very uninteresting to me and not even their Don Q is enticing me to even try to book something - not as good as the Bolshoi version sadly and at the Bastille you need a telescope to see :(

the dutch website is www.het-ballet.nl and i have to start with apology i now find my google toolbar has decided to translate the dutch for me so i can tell you that mr wheeldon is indeed producing a full length cinderella for christmas season - 13 december to 1 january that will be followed by a "best of balanchine" programme - that would tempt me if i knew what they regard as the best of mr. b - i so often find others choices ain't mine ha ha

don Q fan - i know what you mean about the POB website but i think it's worth battling with it to see those stunning dancers - friends tell me they are much better at telephone booking than they used to be too - at least it's better than the old rugby scrum to even get a queue ticket at the Rome opera

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the (live) cinema screening of the 22 March performance of La Bayadere will be shown in the UK?

Well, I very very nearly missed this - camouflaged in a "Met Opera booking opens" email from Picturehouse, but it turns out that it *is* being shown, at least at some Picturehouses in the UK (for other cinemas, please check their own sites and let us know if you find anything). The bad news - at least for the London area, because I haven't checked anywhere else - is that they're all weekday matinees in the next week or so: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/film/Opera_De_Paris_La_Bayad_Re/

Apologies in advance for being a tad pedantic, alison, but two new etoiles please - the rank has a bit more cachet than principal and I am pretty sure having met one or two that the holders of this accolade themselves believe so too!

I have just rung the Gate in Notting Hill to book myself for the Monday (28th) showing, and they almost laughed. 'No need to book' they said - 'we've only sold ten tickets so far - there's another 170 seats left!'.

I now feel it is my duty to go.

I have just rung the Gate in Notting Hill to book myself for the Monday (28th) showing, and they almost laughed. 'No need to book' they said - 'we've only sold ten tickets so far - there's another 170 seats left!'.

I now feel it is my duty to go.

When I saw it (live) it was the same story. I phoned ahead because we were travelling to another city to see it, and was assured there would be no problem with seats, in fact there were about 20 people in a large, empty hall. Not very encouraging for cinemas to go on screening ballets.

Picking a weekday afternoon - and not even, as I understand it, in half-term week - is a guaranteed way of not attracting people, I should think, but it may attract as many people as any other showing around that time does. And to add insult to injury, it appears to be on in the same week as (partially clashing with) Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake :(

I'll go if I can fit it around my work (which is why I'm busy working at 11 pm on a Saturday!). Wish they'd put it on a couple of weeks back ...