Sergei Polunin Sunday Times

The interview took place when Sergei was at the ROH rehearsing M&A. In it he speaks of drugs,tattoos and self harm.

The 'update' suggests he may be 'doing it all again' - which is 'why he vanished from rehearsals of Midnight Express'. It makes no mention of Igor Zelensky.

No doubt this shoddy piece of journalism will satisfy Peter Schaufuss.

• Like 1

The interview in the magazine itself is quite interesting, with some stunning photos.  He has however talked about drugs, tattoos and scarification before so it's nothing new - the article in the main newspaper is cobbling together out-of-context quotes and speculation for the sake of sensationalism.

Most likely explanation at the moment is that Polunin and Zelensky made a joint decision to withdraw when they realised the production was a turkey, and Sergei has gone to ground to hide from the intrusive press attention.  Fingers crossed he's fine and will keep his upcoming performance commitments at the Stanislavsky.

• Like 3

The interview took place when Sergei was at the ROH rehearsing M&A. In it he speaks of drugs,tattoos and self harm.

The 'update' suggests he may be 'doing it all again' - which is 'why he vanished from rehearsals of Midnight Express'. It makes no mention of Igor Zelensky.

No doubt this shoddy piece of journalism will satisfy Peter Schaufuss.

He will probably make a ballet from this...be ready for the next season!!! ;-)

I don't think anyone will ever know what really happened but it seems a shame that people who have bought tickets with a particular expectation are being let down by these goings on.  Yes, it's put ballet back in the news but is such negative publicity a good thing for ballet and ballet lovers?

• Like 1

I have to say, Janet, that the Coliseum are being wonderful.  I got the full amount of my ticket for MIDNIGHT EXPRESS back today IN CASH at the box office.  The kind box office staff member simply said: 'We are having to deal with Mr. Schaufuss' things'.  Not another word was spoken.  They are providing an excellent service in a difficult situation.

• Like 3

I'm surprised that Polunin got involved with the Midnight Express project without knowing more about it.  He's been in this country for quite a few years but even if he was too preoccupied with the Royal Ballet, his new boss,  Zelensky, has been around international ballet long enough to know about Schaufuss' work.  I would have expected him to steer his protege into work more helpful to his career and better suited to his extraordinary talent.  And certainly, if it really is only a matter of 'creative differences' he should be doing some damage limitation now to protect Polunin's reputation.

I must admit my first reaction to Polunin's abrupt departure from the RB last year was more to sympathise with those who had worked with him but from this article (IF it is accurate) he appears to be a very unhappy and confused young man who needs help to manage his life.  A dancer's career is so short - it would be a tragic loss if he wastes these years.

• Like 4

I think Graham Watt's piece for London Dance (in Today's Links:  http://londondance.com/articles/features/midnight-express-and-headline-stars-part-company/ ) is the voice of reason and a very sensible interpretation of something we will never know the whole story of.

Me too....a very well-considered and balanced piece of journalism.  I wish there were more of it about!

• Like 4

Moscow, 8th of April - RIA Novosti.

The Prinsipal of the Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Theatre Sergei POLUNIN whose disappearance got some media coverage last week has been found, the Stanislavsky’s press office informed RIA-Novosti.

“Sergei Polunin is alive and well’, said a spokeswoman for the press office. The details haven’t been reported yet.

I was about to post some very laudatory words about Graham Watts' piece in Londondance when I saw that I'd be beaten to it by no less than both Janet McNulty and Sim, so I'm in excellent company! 

Graham's piece is admirably balanced and no doubt scrupulously researched, and he's probably right in everything he surmises. His words are easily the best I’ve read so far on this whole sorry issue.

• Like 7

Well, I feel that both Polunin and Zelensky should explain why they have pulled out of Midnight Express. The whole production was sold on the basis of them both appearing and, IMO, they owe it to the public to explain why they are letting everyone down. They only need to issue a short statement. Their silence on the matter, as well as fuelling all sorts of speculation, is creating a very negative view of the pair.

As for the ST articles, they largely re-hashed everything which has been said before. The only new piece of information which I learned was that Polunin has cut himself (self-harmed) in the past, which is a disturbing thing to read. It wasn't clear to me at least whether he still self-harms or whether this is something which he has managed to put behind him. I was surprised to read that he now earns ten times as much as he earned at the RB.

• Like 3

I was about to post some very laudatory words about Graham Watts' piece in Londondance when I saw that I'd be beaten to it by no less than both Janet McNulty and Sim, so I'm in excellent company! 

Graham's piece is admirably balanced and no doubt scrupulously researched, and he's probably right in everything he surmises. His words are easily the best I’ve read so far on this whole sorry issue.

Thank you very much for those kind words, Ann! 

• Like 1

This part of the report mentioned above is very interesting in relation to ENB - to quote:

The artistic director also hinted that she hoped to work with Polunin in the near future.

"I hope so, he wants to come," she said. "There are some plans but with Sergei you can never publish them because you never know, so I will be very careful before I announce them."

• Like 1

Just saw (or rather sat through) MIDNIGHT EXPRESS and while I understand that it is morally and legally wrong to break a contract without notice, this train wreak is doing NO ONE ANY FAVOURS.  Perhaps some things are worth more than money ... or perhaps it is just me ... To be fair there were people standing to applaud it.  Where they came from I have NO idea.  I wish ALL well.  

• Like 1

Rofl, a short piece on Polunin in the Express with a photo of Ricardo Cervera:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/390529/Missing-ballet-star-Sergei-Polunin-located-in-Moscow

And look at what The Express wrote:

"The Ukrainian dancer left bosses at the English National Ballet frantic after failing to turn up for rehearsals last week (begs01Apr13).
The company's artistic director Tamara Rojo has now revealed Polunin is "in Moscow and is ok".
In an interview with the BBC, she adds, "Sergei is an amazing artist and a complicated man.
"Sometimes the price people have to pay for that level of artistry is that it is not consistent or predictable."

Everything is in one pile: Midnight Express, Cervera, Polunin, English National Ballet, Schaufuss, Rojo.
Edited by Amelia

And look at what The Express wrote:

"The Ukrainian dancer left bosses at the English National Ballet frantic after failing to turn up for rehearsals last week (begs01Apr13).
The company's artistic director Tamara Rojo has now revealed Polunin is "in Moscow and is ok".
In an interview with the BBC, she adds, "Sergei is an amazing artist and a complicated man.
"Sometimes the price people have to pay for that level of artistry is that it is not consistent or predictable."

Everything is in one pile: Midnight Express, Cervera, Polunin, English National Ballet, Schaufuss, Rojo.

I cannot see the name of the author: maybe it was self-generated, like balls of dust in the corners of my flat...

• Like 2

The Express piece represents journalism at its shoddy, careless worst.

Such lack of professionalism has, unfortunately, characterised so much of what has been written....

...in the tabloid press (full stop, irrespective of the topic)

...in the tabloid press (full stop, irrespective of the topic)

And not just in the tabloids either, it seems.  I used to think the Sunday Times was reliable but the article they published last week on Polunin seems to have been held over at the time it was written and only published now to cash in on the Midnight Express debacle.  Pity, but I still think professional dancers should explain when they behave (apparently) unprofessionally.  No one comes out of this smelling of roses.

• Like 3

I cannot see the name of the author: maybe it was self-generated, like balls of dust in the corners of my flat...

Then it is an outstanding self-generation, which managed to generate the additional involvement of two persons and two companies who had nothing to do with the Midnight Express saga.