Royal Ballet - La Bayadere, Spring 2013

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night's Bayadere, Marianela's Nikiya, beautiful.

However, one small incident (which wasn't allowed to interfere with the performance), as Nikiya sped around the stage the snake flew out of the basket of flowers (what is it with Miss Nunez and props?).

Now, if that snake had flown in the opposite direction, and got Gamzatti....?

Ah, that's another story!

(Idea for a new discussion thread, anyone, how an incident gives a twist to the story direction?)

• Like 3

I saw Bayadere last night too.....I didn't see the snake fly out so that explains why it wasn't held up after she is bitten!!

Both Acosta and Marianela were dancing superbly with some lovely partnering by Acosta but particularly Marianela....she's rapidly becoming my favourite Royal dancer.

One thing......still on the subject of the flower basket.....I have only seen bits of first act on YouTube before...and mostly Russians dancing it and I love the bit in the dance where she goes a bit manic and does some very fast steps coming forward down the stage but last night this bit was missed out or more likely not in this production....and I had been ready waiting for it....and then nothing....only disappointment of the evening though.

A mention for Valentino Zucchetti who danced The Golden Idol, I thought he was terrific......though never seen the dance before so not seen others do it....but it seems he could be a rising star!!

In the dance of the Golden Idol did the dancer go into the attitude turns from a full kneeling position or just from 4th position?

When Makarova set this on ABT in 1980, Danilo Radojevik danced it - going into the attitude turn (he does this three times) from a full kneeling position.  Quite marvelous!

• Like 1

I don't know the dance well enough to have looked out for this but I don't remember him going from kneeling position into a turn as you say....gosh how would you do that.....seems impossible.....oh for young knees!! However this young dancer from the Royal made a great impression on me with some extraordinary jumps at the beginning and created an other worldliness feel to the idol to set the final act.

Guest chinafish

@Anjuli -- in all the performances I've seen in this production at the RB (3 this season, multiple times before), the Golden Idols have always done the attitude turns coming from a kneeling position.

Siegfried rushing on stage in Lac to stop friends shooting swans. Oops!

That could go two ways, or even three. They shoot Siegfried by mistake, or he comes on too late, and a bit of hasty improvisation ensues, either the swans getting shot, or said swans banding together and attacking the friends.

Thanks chinafish as I missed this and it's important that one of our dancers can do the original choreography....I'm sure Anjuli will be pleased to know this!! Next time I see Bayadere I'll look out in particular for this in that dance!

@Anjuli -- in all the performances I've seen in this production at the RB (3 this season, multiple times before), the Golden Idols have always done the attitude turns coming from a kneeling position.

Thank you, Chinafish !!

Guest chinafish

Or Carabosse arrived at the birthday party without a spindle (which did happen once!), and Aurora again, died of natural causes...

so folks... please make me jealous!! Brilliant as expected?

If anyone has photos to share (in particular of Nunez as Nikiya, Act I: the dance before her death so beautiful it makes me cry each time, and the dance of the sacred fire with the beautiful arms)

How was the shades?

merci for all your comments in advance!

Final performance of the run - Carlos / Marianela  = sublime.  Lovely touch at the end for the corps de ballet ladies - a single flower presented to all of them.  For those of us following them on Twitter, they tell us what hard work La B is for them.  Lovely to see the principals applauding them. 

• Like 2