Acting Schools

Spax

Full time under sixteen will be performing arts schools, ie Arts Ed Chiswick, Italia Conti also London.Conti's also do associate classes around the country. Otherwise Theatre Train and Stagecoach are big companies.

TBH you wouldn't want full time acting under 16. Far too restricted. My daughter did an acting Btec instead of A levels then 3 years at Rose Bruford (in the top 5). She now agrees with what we said all along. Often better to go later rather than earlier. Acting definitely benefits from maturity.

Many of the Saturday classes offer LAMDA exams which are fun.

• Like 1

I agree about full time under 16. Despite bring eligible for a generous bursary which would work out cheaper than her current independent school dd decided not to apply for the drama strand at vocational school as it would be too restricting She would get minimal dance there fir example.

There are all round Musicsl theatre schools suck as Italia Continue, Sylvua Young Arts Ed etc but they are out of our reach.

Dd does Stagecoach, ballet, tap, modern, dance, SC dance troupe and occasional shows.

www.sylviayoungtheatreschool.co.uk/

www.susiearnshaw.co.uk/

www.redroofs.co.uk/

and hammond also take drama students

edited to add - sorry none of the links seem to be working

Edited by spooky

I believe that there are holidays courses associated with the Old Vic and the Polka (in Wimbledon) Theatres. There are probably holiday courses associated with the Unicorn Theatre at London Bridge as well. These theatres may also run weekly classes. JASSPA (in Dulwich) runs a youth theatre course in the Summer holidays as well as Saturday classes. There is also the National Youth Theatre.

Was wondering if any local music schools also provide lessons? What I mean is,the Manchester School of Music,as well as music used to  provide Speech and Drama lessons for children on Saturdays. Entered for LAMDA Grade and Major Exams. If THEY do, I`m sure other music schools [the ones you don`t have to audition for] must do so too.

• 7 months later...

Can any parents give me advice re what would be helpful for a 16 year old trying to get a drama scholarship to a public non vocational school. This is not my area of expertise but my poor neighbour's daughter being horrendously bullied at state school and looking to move somewhere else for sixth form. She is not really a dancer but has a good singing voice and clearly an interest in drama. Any one any ideas re non vocational sixth forms where she might find a better environment to learn. Ideally she would like to be a boarder.

Sorry to hear about the bullying.

I suspect that it would be extremely competitive going for a drama scholarship at a public school. I can post a link to one example as this is a school my parents taught at, where the drama is at an amazing level - and much of it extremely adult and serious. Some famous actors have come from this school. http://www.sevenoaksschool.org/drama-scholarship

Sometimes you see threads about music scholarships for public schools in threads in the education sections of Mumsnet. It might be worth checking for old ones relevant to drama, or starting a new thread....

A bit late on this thread but in the London area used to be Islington there is Anna Scher's school.

There are lots of after school activities in drama and full time for older but not sure of grants etc for attendance there.