Noel Goodwin 1927 - 2013

An obituary in this morning's Times announces the death, on March 27th, of the music and dance critic Noel Goodwin. He wrote about both those arts for numerous magazines, newspapers and reference books as well as serving on various committees.

I remember him most from his contributions to Dance & Dancers, where every review of a new ballet would include a contribution from him on the music. Ballet.co owes him a particular debt for allowing us to reprint his break-down of the score for Mayerling - still online in our archives .

Thank you for reporting this very sad news.  Noel Goodwin was a very fair-minded and knowledgeable critic and a warm and friendly person.  I heartily agree about his contributions to Dance & Dancers: not only did he give break-downs of the musical scores but he also made comparisons of various productions of the classics with lists of which pieces of music were used in which production - invaluable for dance research!  

Noel Goodwin's contributions were one of the major reasons I missed Dance & Dancers so much after it folded.  Sad to hear of his loss to the dance world, but he clearly lived to a ripe old age.

Thanks, Jane, for posting.