Auditions

balletmum20

My daughter who is 8, has 2 audtions coming up, one which is trings classical ballet, and the other which is royal ballet associates, can someone help, does anyone know what they look for, do they both look for the same thing, what sort of things do they do it an audtion class at this age? Is flexibility important at this age?

Thanks in advance for your help

Balletmum20, my DD auditioned last year and she was 8 as well. It all looks like a ballet class. Yes, flexibility is important but no, your DD doesn't need to be able to do all 3 splits perfectly. And every school looks for slightly different things as my DD was accepted at RBS and Elmhurst but not Tring. If you have Amy questions please pm me. And Janet's link about auditioning procedures is about auditions to year 7 at vacational schools

• 4 weeks later...

my dd is also auditioning in may for the london...when i called the RBS AND ASKED THEM, should juniors have to know the splits  

( because actually my daughter can not do it yet!), their answer was ''NO''!! ....should i be worried about this answer? or is it true?

my daughter is auditioning for the rbs junior ass on tuesday. she cant do splits either.  i dont think she has the right body shape to be accepted.  is that awful to think that or realistic.  she is going for experience and hopefully a good test for her grade 4 exam the week after and in her words a day off school!

• Like 1

Hi ballet mum 20. Just tell your dd to enjoy the experiences. It seems a bit of a mystery as to what they are looking for. Our own experience is that they rarely ask them to do anything particularly complicated or daunting. We haven't been to Tring, so can't comment there. However, I would say fairly confidently that the RBS look for a particular look and body shape/type. They are looking for potential...does this child have the type of body suitable for classical ballet training. My dd has had lots of rejections but some lovely experiences. I don't think she has ever been to an audition that has made her feel uncomfortable or worried. Just enjoy, the decisions are out of our control.

My dd could do the splits in all directions and has got what you would call a good ballet shape but she was never successful at ja's or WL auditions. But did get accepted for elmhurst ja's and is now at vocational school but coming home soon due to lack of funds. So the mad merry go round if auditions will start again soon!!!! But if its taught me anything it's that you will never ever fathom out the decisions the powers that be have over who gets in and who gets what. So you just have to let it go over your head and hope that they enjoy it enough to keep putting thereselves and bonkers parents like us through it time and time again ????

• Like 4

I don't think they worry too much about whether students are already able to do the splits etc. 

Perhaps one of the things they may be looking for is a 'trainable' physique, which will be able to respond to their training methods. It seems that all the school are looking for slightly different things anyway.

• Like 2

sometimes I'm not sure about my dd!!! i of course found the auditions, and i of course applied for them FOR HER... obviously she is only 8 after-all, how would she know there is such thing as other ballet school, better than our local one! ??

i of course do this because I CAN see a potential in her .., i know she LOVES ballet, and has the physic for it...but shes not one to with posters every were wanting to be a dancer!! ?? 

so, i ask my self...i ask you? am i mad to push her....she loving very minute of it by the way..and I think she excited that there are auditions coming up, and she's practising for them........but very casually!!!  ;)

i felt much the same about my daughter and when she was fortunate enough to get into JAs i was botherd that she had no concept of how privilaged she was . Other girls seemed more enthusiastic and more aware. she has however spent most of today sewing name.labels on everything that didnt run away, ready for going to vocational school in September! I have come to understand that some children are just more self contained about their passions. 

• Like 2

thankyou for that along , a long for a ride mum..you seam like you've had a journey...and is well experienced in this, !

for the JA AUDTIONS, can i ask ? how many are at the auditions? 

i gather your daughter had finished the JA's now..and what advise would you give us? 

I wonder now if what I took to be indifference was actually quiet determination, looking back now I think so. So yes, I'd say go for it, I wouldn't want my child to say at a later date 'I really wanted to try but you didnt let me'

hmmm absolutely.  i agree with 100% . 

it not so much that daughter will say 'you didn't let me'' , i fear more of ....''why didn't

you TELL me i can do? " ,

at this age ( they don't know what they are good at, BUT WE CAN SEE) , 

there are of course children who do know ! we are not one of those..so, if i can see something then i will run with it.

Honestly cant remember how many were there fie auditions, alot has already been said on here about what they may be looking for and what will be required and it's all good info. Honestly I think the best advise I could give is to keep it relaxed and treat it as a fun experience and a special day. The result will be what itwill be, no amount of trying to guess what they want will change that. I think it is right that they are looking for the physique and the potential not who is the better dancer.If you are well prepared in tes of directions, having change for parking etc youll be more relaxed and then you can both enjoy the day. The one thing I worried about is when we got there everyone had waist elastics except my daughter, I'd never seen them before. We are in the last couple of months of JAs now. It has been a wonderful experience and i cant recommend it highly enough. It has been quite a journey for sure! best of luck x

• Like 2