hammond leotard question

tutucute22

Hmm just tried looking on the school calendar but can't see anything.  I'm pretty certain that someone (maybe the house parent) said that the children would get to see more on the induction day.  Could be wrong!! (I often am) ;)

Hi all the leotard is specially made for the Hammond girls I'm at work at the moment and will look at the label to see if I can find any more info for you . I remember with one leotard I rang directly to the manufacturers and managed to get it a little cheaper ...... I recommend for any girls older than yr7 getting it fully lined as this is optional.

Those people on MDS when you visit the Theatre shop they have a list of students names.

I recommend ordering early although they are very helpful they are a tad slow.

• Like 2

Just a tip....remember that on an MDS award you can also purchase your own dance uniform things from anywhere and send the receipts to school for a refund (regardless of what the school dance shop tells you!!!!). Works out much cheaper that way :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if its the same for each school but I would imagine so. The uniform allowance is paid directly to the school but the money belongs to the student and can be spent anywhere the student chooses to do so. If I'm honest, we found the school dance shop to be very over priced and we could literally get two pairs of ballet shoes elsewhere for the price of one at school. Of course the school shop is convenient and ideal if you don't have the money to pay up front and claim back.

• Like 1

There will be an induction day - probably quite late in the summer term if it is the same as last year. You will have plenty of free time as a parent but your dc's is likely to be tied up for the whole school day. If you are going to buy from recommended dance shop, you may find it helpful to know dc's measurements so you can go in without them and order. We did this last year as dance shop was only open for half day on induction day and we couldn't get dd there. We provisionally selected shoes and went in with dd just before start of term to confirm fit. We did go in person to uniform shop after induction but be prepared for shop to be very busy. If you need any more info, please post or pm me.

Karen

• Like 2

Ballet shoes are canvas with 2 elastics crossed - don' have to be brand specific. It's pink socks at the start, moving to tights at teacher's discretion. Tap shoes are black Oxford with low heel - we took existing ones. If your child has pointe shoes, take what you have as there will only be pointe work in RAD class to start. We were told that one teacher dislikes Grisko so we did buy new pair as this is what dd had! Happy shopping!

Hi tutucute22 my younger DD will be in year 9 from September if she would like to contact her via facebook she can talk to her and some of her friends.......one of the new boys has already been introduced to them .

PM me if she would like that,and any other questions you may have relevant to yr9, from previous threads I think you are too far from us to meet before hand.

• Like 2

I would say at least 2 leotards and tights I really couldn't say ,but if they have at least 3 then one pair in use , one in the wash and a spare pair and 2 pairs of jazz/ tap tights.the theatre shop visit school twice a week so those on MDS just sign for what they need and those not on MDS they send the bill to your address.

The house staff wash their dance kit every day so they could effectively managed with only one leotard.

In July I will probably have a few items inc tap shoes that would be ok for spares .

My dd tells me she is already in contact with one little dancer who will be joining her if anyone else's dc's would like to chat about life at The Hammond just pm me and I will give my dd the details ..... You all must be so excited welcome to the wonderful world of vocational school ;)

• Like 3

Just a tip....remember that on an MDS award you can also purchase your own dance uniform things from anywhere and send the receipts to school for a refund (regardless of what the school dance shop tells you!!!!). Works out much cheaper that way :)

Wish someone had told us this piece of information last year. Not being on an mds we stuck to the uniform list to the letter as we were told we had too. The wear moi leotard I was told she had to have that cost me nearly £60, we paid for it up front it took months to arrive. when I checked the label it wasn't what they said it would be, I checked the same one in line it was £24 !!!!!!And it was damaged. by the time i had seen it when dd was home it was too late to do anthing about, i know they have to make a profit somewhere but felt completely ripped off.

As for pointe shoes as my dd usually wore grishkos and we were told by the dance shop Hammond do don't like them, they fitted her in school in what could only be described as wellies, I returned them as luckily they had given her a broken pair ( I do have to say there was no problem in returning them ) I asked her dance teacher if she could have grishkos again as they seemed to be better on her narrow feet, and her reply was yes get what fits not a certain brand.

Don't get me started on tap shoes way too long a story !!!!!!!!!!!

So my advice would be shop around mds or not

Happy shopping ????

We did the same with my first daughter it all came to £600 for dance and formal as we bought it all from shop s we thought we should have and bought too much as thought we d need spares , but my second daughter was on an mds and I wanted to make the money last fortunately some of her sister s could be passed down but leotards had changed and she was smaller so some uniform did nt fit either ,but I managed to get it half the price by shopping around second hand is fine and very exceptable as once it all goes into the washing system it all looks the same and is good qaulity so washes fine x

• Like 1

Wish someone had told us this piece of information last year. Not being on an mds we stuck to the uniform list to the letter as we were told we had too. The wear moi leotard I was told she had to have that cost me nearly £60, we paid for it up front it took months to arrive. when I checked the label it wasn't what they said it would be, I checked the same one in line it was £24 !!!!!!And it was damaged. by the time i had seen it when dd was home it was too late to do anthing about, i know they have to make a profit somewhere but felt completely ripped off.

As for pointe shoes as my dd usually wore grishkos and we were told by the dance shop Hammond do don't like them, they fitted her in school in what could only be described as wellies, I returned them as luckily they had given her a broken pair ( I do have to say there was no problem in returning them ) I asked her dance teacher if she could have grishkos again as they seemed to be better on her narrow feet, and her reply was yes get what fits not a certain brand.

Don't get me started on tap shoes way too long a story !!!!!!!!!!!

So my advice would be shop around mds or not

Happy shopping

.....don't know if you noticed Balletbun but the leotards aren't even Wear Moi (as at 2002-2011) !!!! They are Wear Moi International UK which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Wear Moi that we would all expect them to be after going under this name. :(

It was given to my dd at school, as it was ordered and paid for, I was told it had to be made and was coming from somewhere abroad. Didn't have any reason to doubt it at the time but I was keen to know what a £60 leotard looked like as i have never paid that much, so I checked the label when dd got home and it was Dansez, not what I orderd at all. It had to come all the way from Kent !!!!????

• Like 1

One of my DD's friends' Mum has a dancewear shop. She tends to find out the exact leotards (and there are many when you consider that each couple of years they need a different main ballet one plus there are the RAD, tap and modern ones) and of course prices may be cheaper. She also gets my DD's pointe shoes for her and gives us the receipt to give to the school. The nominated shop in Chester is VERY limited when it comes to shoes! If you would like to contact her at her shop let me know. I will seek her permission first before I post any details!

• Like 2

Hi, Pointeshoes and anyone else who is interested,

I've been in contact with Becky and she is happy for me to post contact details for her on here. She doesn't have an online facility, but if you call and ask for Becky personally, she will help you over the phone.

The shop details are:

Stardust Costumes Ltd

41 Tamworth Street

Lichfield

Staffordshire

WS13 6JW

tel: 0845 2584151