Elmhurst lower school

Dancingfeet

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any elmhurst mum s know if they can wear canvas trainers ie converse or do they have to be totally plan no names, also can they have a thin coloured line around the edge of sole. I've found a pair of plan black canvas trainer s but they have a thin White line around the sole, thank s in advance x

Hi Dancingfeet ! We brought dd white leather addidas trainers last year ! She says some of the other girls wear canvas ! Saw some plain white converses yesterday so may change to them ! The black ones have never even been on her feet ! The best item we bought was a shoe tidy ! Hangs in the wardrobe and makes her far more organised ! Just a thought ! :)

• Like 2

No, they don't. Dd only wears canvas hi-tops in the summer because her orthotics won't fit into trainers. But without her custom orthotics in they are flat inside (no arch support) and very flimsy.

If dd didn't need orthotics and had to wear trainers all day I would get decent ones with appropriate arch support for the foot. You can get some really high spec trainers in Sports Direct for a fraction of the price.

They wear split sole canvas. Dd either has Sansha or Bloch Zeniths. She prefers the Zeniths. Supplied by the visiting shop ! I hve a ds doing summer school and I don't believe they have stipulated what they wear. He will wear his usuals !

Edited by cotes du rhone !

Elmhurst Dads (well this one anyway!) head to sports direct for white trainers, which are worn almost non-stop. Black trainers or shoes hardly ever. We have found some Lonsdale ones to be fine - no logos and almost completely white. They usually last about a term each pair. So now each term we buy one pair, keep the old pair for muddy days and throw a pair away.

Edited by Stirrups36
  • Like 4

My dd has orthotics in her converse from physio , there ideal as they fit in perfect in a size bigger I struggle to get them in other trainer s also has to be flat with no support to fit them in . That was only reason I was asking Im very aware about support needed and would nt put her in them if I did nt think they were suitable it was just a question of if they were aloud canvas and and signs lines ect on them or if I had to find some that would fit her orthotics s in and were totally plain

• Like 2

I've just bought dd a pAir of converse and thought they look much more supportive than normal canvas shoes

I agree. :-) My point was that unless you need canvas hi-tops to fit orthotics in, then normal "proper" trainers are much more supportive than any canvas shoes, including converse.

• Like 1

I agree trainers are best. And I guess I've bought them for dd to wear much less than the other poster. She needed something for when trainers look odd (pretty top & leggings or summer dress) & she'll be allowed to wear them with her dance track suit but list of the day will be in school shoes.

My DS wore white leather Converse at Elmhurst for two and a half years. He constantly suffered from shin pain on and off. We eventually changed to supportive running style white trainers and he has had very few problems since. Really go for the supportive ones. Crazy that it took us so long to work it out!! It is to do with the moulded insole support in normal trainers. Converse barely have any arch support, and most canvas shoes have none. They seem to get away with some markings on them, and as for black, he never wore them!

edited to add more info

Edited by Belljul
  • Like 2

I have just walked the length and breadth of every blooming shopping mall in Orlando trying to find white trainers that 1. Are suitable and 2. We're not pronounced as "seriously uncool" by my DS!!!!! Did get sorted in the end with a pr of running type that also fit his orthotics! Phew!

• Like 5

I really wouldn't stress too much about them being completely white. My DD's have had a selection of trainers over the last three years. We were originally encouraged not to have canvas converse, but my girls

tell me lots do use them, more to do with the foot support. Don't bother with the black trainers they aren't needed. Clarks do leather white trainers with good support and of course fitted to your DC's feet at around £25. One tip is NIKE trainers worn all the time smell terrible like cat pee. Actually my fell running husband had a new pair of NIKE fell shoes and even he was complaining about the smell after one run and we had to put them in the garage. Addidas do mainly white trainers, also if your kids have hot and sweaty fee the Asics style with a bit of colour are good as they are mesh like and breath very well, remember they are in these shoes most of the day.

• Like 5

I sewed labels into everything..., socks, pants, pillow cases, pillows, duvet and covers, the school uniform (shirts, tie etc)dressing gown, pyjamas etc. I named every pair of shoes. My sewing is pretty useless, so my ds would often bring certain items home to be renamed! He's very good now at sewing elastics into his ballet shoes though!

• Like 1

The laundry bags used to be part of the required items for Elmhurst - they stay in the bags for washing / drying and then returned to their pigeon holes - they dont want lots of loose socks and tights - its a nightmare at home with 5 of us at home could you imagine sorting out a year groups pants and socks! :o !!

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 2

in our experience - with a boy - sew names into everything! (maybe socks less important, but make sure you have a good supply ready). Also, it will really make your life easier when they do keep losing something and you say to the houseparents 'it doesn't have a name on'!

DS is also now quite good (after 3 years) at sewing them in himself on new items and sewing the elastics.