I don't think Tchaikovsky had this
choreography in mind when he wrote " Swan Lake ." How could anyone imagine the
performance you are about to see.

With a
population of nearly 1.5

Billion, the Chinese had to locate
one great dancer .... and
they did. Her partner is not too bad either

A friend sent me this link . Not sure I like it but it certainly is amazing! What do others think? [/url

http://www.nzwide.com/swanlake.htm
=

Hi Spacy,

Yes, it is for real.  I have seen this company twice - once at the Lowry and once in Birmingham.  It is Swan Lake but not as we know it!  The company made quite a stir on the first showing of this here.  During the tour they performed at the Royal Opera House.

There was a good thread about them on the old Ballet.Co.

The company is actually a troupe of acrobats that tour under the banner of Chinese State Circus both doing a usual circus show and sometimes this Swan Lake.  Some of the acrobatics are the same in both shows.

Go and see them if you get the chance!

Well there must be some mechanics involved - it's hard enough to promenade smoothly in arabesque on the floor - nobody can revolve that slowly en pointe without support and propulsion by a partner. :-)

It's very very clever but it leaves me a bit cold tbh. Still, horses for courses! :-)

• Like 1

See it live Spanner, if you ever get the chance.  The acrobatic elements are enormous fun.  The lady who dances O/O is very expressive and is a great dancer - I'm sure she could have graced the stage of opera houses world wide if she had chosen dance rather than acrobatics as a career.

When I saw it at the Lowry, the entire audience was on their feet cheering at the end.  I was one of them - a very rare occurence for me!

• Like 2

The Chinese State Circus is such a pleasure to watch and I am pleased to see they are on tour again at the moment. This piece is incredible and fantastic, I really enjoyed it, but to me nothing can compare to the beauty and quality of dance in Swan Lake when performed by a major ballet company or Mathew Bourne. 

• Like 1

Wow thanks for link that was amazing, a very different slant on swan lake, it totally challenges perceptions in that what you expect to see is something completely different and fascinating, even erring on the side of outrageous!  My DD just pointed out that the male dancer/acrobat had took something off his head and laid it on the floor so maybe spanners theory on the mechanics could be correct!  Will have to look out for them when they are next here!

Ax

• Like 1

My dd and I have just watched this. It made both of us squirm. Too much like circus acrobatics for our taste! This did not have the beautiful lines and feeling that I love in ballet. I can't even say I was wowed by her technique. It all left me cold. Fascinating to see but i really hope this isn't the future of ballet!!