DD's Easter school has been cancelled; does anyone know of a course that might accept late entrants?

Katymac

We have just had a big row about the 'future' & she isn't doing any Easter courses - apparently there is an important sleep-over (first time ever)

I think this might be the beginning of the end for dancing as a career

It maybe she is disappointed and upset with the original course being cancelled so has chosen to do something completely different like going to her friends for a 'sleepover'.  After all friends are a nice distraction and supportive at these kind of times!

Ax

• Like 2

Gosh, I wouldn't panic about it being the end of anything just because she is wanting to go to an important get-together. :-) As amber says, it could be that she's disappointed at her Easter school being cancelled, and worried about having to possibly go somewhere new where she doesn't know anyone.

And you know that if teenage girls are stressed, who gets the brunt of it - yep - Mum!

• Like 4

Personally I think its very healthy for dance not to come first all the time. No matter how dedicated a young dancer is they need rest,friends and other interests. I hope your DD enjoys the break, has fun with her friends and gets back to enjoying her dancing next term

• Like 4

There is a lot of stress about when there's a full moon - I thought it was an Old Wives' tale, but it isn't!

Lol....my other half definitely shows signs of "lunacy" when it's the full moon!!

Katymac, your dd is growing up and it is normal and healthy for her to want to spend time with friends.

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 1

It's all OK

Another Open day and she is 'back on track' (which is ever so slightly disappointing....I had visions of A levels & uni) with an additional career path in mind if it doesn't all work out the way she hopes

They are fickle

• Like 1

It's all OK

Another Open day and she is 'back on track' (which is ever so slightly disappointing....I had

visions of A levels & uni) with an additional

career path in mind if it doesn't all work out the

way she hopes

I'm sorry if this is a silly questions but are there no A levels at any vocational ballet school?

They are fickle

My ds studied 4 at Tring- best choice available, ended up with three in the end. Is now a professional Ballet Dancer.

All the vocational schools offer at least one A level, it varies from place to place, if you go to the schools websites you should be able to see whats on offer. In most places choice is limited. But remember A levels can be done at any age whereas dance training for a career has be done young. My ds wanted to explore all options (ie academic as well as dance) hence his choice of school but it was an extremely heavy workload.

• Like 1

Is Tring a level 3 or a level 6?

If it's level 3, currently I have about 4 options for that all of which should will be cheaper

It's so confusing

Plus until about a week ago DD said she wated Musical Theatre but after seeing London Studio Centre she is talking about 'just' dance

Why don't they come with a manual

Edited by Katymac
  • Like 2

I think London studio Centre do a degree in theatre dance which you can do after A levels. A girl from my DDs school (just a state grammar not vocational) got a place on that course last year. She was a good all rounder, very nice tapper and had done A level dance but not sure what other A levels she took. This type of course would be funded with a student loan I think.

Yes but you would need about 280 UCAS point & then would only have (on average) 7 years left to dance (according to the very nice man at LSC this week - the college is amazing)

She can get the 280 points doing an extended level 3 Btec - which would be much more her thing; if only the local college offered it.  The one in the (both of the) next city does but we can't really get her to either so she would have to get digs.  If she is going to have to get digs to do a level 3 she might as well try for the level 6.......I guess

Hammond offer the level 6 diploma in 6th form with up to 2 a levels alongside, limited choice of subject though.  The first year is a 'common' year for all dance and musical theatre students and the student with the teacher then decides whether to do the Professional Dance or Musical Theatre Diploma.  Bear in mind also that some dance exams also give UCAS points.  For RAD for example, you get points for grades 6,7,8, Intermediate and Advanced Foundation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just once again back to A levels. Today at RBS I have been told that they offer A levels in English, French, maths, music and arts and also if a student has a talent in any other subject they will arrange a teacher to come over even for one child.

• Like 2