Anna Pavlova Gala at London Coliseum

Looks like a great group of dancers tonight. If it weren't over the top expensive for me to get across the Channel, etc. I would have really tried to be there. Hopefully I'll see some of these dancers in Saint Petersburg later this month.

Tamara Rojo, Serguey Polunin, Ulyana Lopatkina, Marat Shemiunov, Myriam Ould-Braham, Alessio Carbone, Giuseppe Picone, Evgenia Obraztsova, Lucia Lacarra, Marlon Dino, Yana Salenko, Marian Walter, Viacheslav Lopatin, Anastasia Stashkevitch, Alina Cojocaru, Alexandre Riabko, Alina Somova, David Makhateli, Natalia Somova, Igor Zelensky, Daria Klimentova, Vadim Muntagirov, Svetlana Zakharova, Andrey Merkuriev.

(list posted by sophia at Dansomanie (in french) )

Ones that I might miss, but would love to have seen, are Evgenia Obraztsova, Myriam Ould-Braham, Lucia Lacarra, Daria Klimentova....

I hope that those of you who are fortunate enough to be there will see some great performances and tell us something about them. Last year's Ulanova Gala was spectacular !

(Also see Alison's train service alert)

http://www.balletcof...-march-warning/

Edited by Buddy

I've been struggling to find up-to-date details on this: I thought they'd usually be online by now? Needless to say, there appear to be a number of differences between what was originally announced and the latest line-up :)

I've been struggling to find up-to-date details on this: I thought they'd usually be online by now? Needless to say, there appear to be a number of differences between what was originally announced and the latest line-up :)

The flyer and publicity for this announced "performances will include pieces from Anna Pavolva's repertoire such as Paquita, The Pharoah's Daughter, Le Roi Candaule, Giselle, La Bayadere, The Sleeping Beaurty, Marcobomba, and including rarely performed pieces such as Egyptian Nights and Dragon Flight which will be restored especially for this gala". Well, they weren't specially restored. Of the list above, only a Giselle pas de deux and a Bayadere solo made it on the night. Much (though not all) of the rest was standard gala fare - Corsaire, white swan pas de deux. Romeo and Juliet pdd (Cranko version) and a number of modern pieces with no obvious connection with Pavlova. Some wonderful dancers of course (good to see Polunin and Rojo in Raymonda) but some distance from the tribute as advertised.

These are a few remarks from the review of last night's Anna Pavlova Gala from "The Arts Desk" by Ismene Brown that I really enjoyed.

"The gladness of movement came in Rojo’s effervescent Raymonda duet with Polunin, Cojocaru’s evanescent melancholy as Neumeier’s La dame aux camélias, Lopatkina’s aristocratic Russkaya (pictured right) and her breathtakingly graceful Pavlova ballet-class, another Neumeier number.

"Zakharova was the definition of litheness....and Evgenia Obraztsova, one of the Mariinsky’s softer-gleaming stars (now gone to the Bolshoi), danced a Bayadère solo that surely, in its extruded, high lines and testingly slow balances on pointe, was nothing like the impression Pavlova and her generation could have made.

"More revealing was that eternal surprise girl, Alina Somova [performing a duet from "Giselle"]....showed in the silken expressiveness of her upper body and free-moving arms a gladness of movement hauntingly close to that in the Pavlova clips.

"The audience curtain call clapometer was sound. Loudest cheers came for Cojocaru, Lopatkina and the Rojo-Polunin duo...."

http://www.theartsde...london-coliseum

Edited by Buddy