ENBS/Elmhurst 6th form finals

balletla

Brilliant news Discouraged - great to see those in the Associate programmes having success after being up against those from Vocational schools - after reading some of the threads lately I think some of the non vocational DC were feeling a bit low - I hope they are now feeling inspired and positive - parents too!!  :)

Good luck to your DD @ Central next week - have my fingers crossed x

Edited by Kat09
  • Like 2

My ds goes to a vocational school and the only difference is that he has his ballet lessons at school instead of me driving a 50 mile trip 4 nights aweek for the same amount if lessons.

I wouldn't worry about dc from vocational schools being better as that is not the case, its the child and the teaching.

• Like 1

If Spax you are correct, then why all the frenzy to send a child to train vocationally at 11?

I think you may possibly be a little off base with your information. I'm not sure how many children access locally 20+ hours per week of training? Just an observation.

Well done to all of those gaining 6th form places, a very tough year for parents and students.

Pippinpointe, there are many reasons why vocational school works well for many people from 11. One would be that at a good school, the student should get a good foundation and grounding in basic technique. There may be performance opportunities which aren't available to children at local schools. Great facilities, on-site physios, and obviously getting plenty of good quality training are also hugely helpful.

Plus you don't have the problem of tired teenagers doing a full day at academic school, rushing home, finding time to eat a good pre-dancing meal and rush out to ballet class each evening as well as fitting in huge amounts of homework.

My own dd is not at Vocational school; she wasn't ready either physically, emotionally or technically to get a funded place at 11, so I'm not defending any school in particular. Fortunately she is managing well with all her commitments, and is progressing very well at an excellent Associate scheme, and as we know it is of course possible to get a place at Upper School without being at a lower school - but there are pros and cons to both routes.

• Like 5

If Spax you are correct, then why all the frenzy to send a child to train vocationally at 11?

I think you may possibly be a little off base with your information. I'm not sure how many children access locally 20+ hours per week of training? Just an observation.

Well done to all of those gaining 6th form places, a very tough year for parents and students.

I don't think DC at vocational school get 20+ hours of training per week. I even seriously doubt that knowing the Tring timetable for example..

When my dd was at lower school in both Hammond and Tring she danced for at least 20 hours per week. Students tend to dance either all moring or afternoon with academics the opposite end of the day. The students also take classes on a Saturday, my dd did anyway.

• Like 3

My dd is 11 and at Tring and they do 17.5 hours per week ,plus rehearsals for shows, choreo etc on top, so Pippinpointe what you're trying to say is accurate , and this is why places at vocational schools are so sought after !

• Like 2

Discouraged has your DD got a place yet?

My dd has her Central final audition this Sunday.

Unfortunately I feel we have naively underestimated the actual numbers of hours training required in order to compete with the vocational students.

You never know a miracle may happen!

• Like 1

But it's not just about how many hours training you do. It is also about talent. Like I said earlier, I am amazed by how many non-vocational school children have been offered places at the top schools so far and virtually none of them will have been doing 20hrs a week. It is about quality more than quantity. I beginning to question the need for vocational school but perhaps this is a subject for a separate post as we are getting off topic here.

• Like 5

Disouraged

My dd is nowhere near the 20 hour of classes a week- it would be physically impossible given our location and access to decent training.  On her 4 hours (6 on associate weeks) she's gained final places and is off to study full time in September. We personally know a number of non-vocational students who now have places at various schools - so don't give up just yet, they wouldn't have recalled her if they weren't interested.

Good luck for central final.

• Like 1

Thank you Tango :)

I'm glad you understood what I was saying. Vocational schools naturally offer more training which is exactly why they are a desireable option. However they are not the right route for all but if you have spent years training at that level the underlying strength is more than those who haven't for very many reasons followed that path. This does not however exclude non- vocational students from gaining places at vocational classical schools at 16. For some it may be seen as an advantage in that the student may have huge potential that will then be realised at 6th form - where others who have seriously trained for longer may have already realised their potential and find that there is not as much to come to fruition - I am not saying this is the case just a possibility for an occasional student. I know many non vocational students who have gained places at vocational 6th forms and done very well as well as those who have studied vocationally for many younger years and have also done very well too. It takes many ingredients to make the dancer and many varied journeys.

I think this is probably a discussion for another thread. I would however like to wish your DD Discouraged the very best of luck for her Central finals - fabulous school :)

Don't know. We moved to London and found school by accident looking for evening classes. Anna offered ds full time school. Got my evenings back. Nearest school to us was a catholic school where you have to go to church and most of the others private. Live right in the city. So took Anna's offer.