Looking for Saturday or Sunday classes accessible from East Anglia

Katymac

DD is looking for ideally an audition entry class on a Saturday or Sunday that we can get to from East Anglia (London is possible)

She is 15, Grade 5 ISTD Ballet & also does Contemporary, Tap & Jazz

Any ideas where we should start looking?

Tring Park Associates do a Senior non-syllabus class on Saturdays, and also contemporary.

Edited to add: Tring also has the Classical Ballet Academy on Sundays, there's also London Junior/Senior Ballet, and the DanceEast CAT in Ipswich (auditions coming up soon).

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

In addition to Tring's CBA (and thinking of London) Central, RBS and London Senior Ballet all have selective Associate classes at weekends in London. If your dd is strong at Contemporary there are the two excellent CATs at Trinity Laban or The Place.

This is so scary - putting DD through auditions she might not be good enough for....

I wonder if something like :

http://www.theurdangacademy.com/part-time-courses/urdang-youth-academy/

or

http://www.laine-theatre-arts.co.uk/junior-squad.php

would be better as they don't need an audition

Tring would be very difficult to get to for us I think

• Like 1

I have looked at the links. Does anyone else think that £250 for 5 sessions at Laines is expensive or is it just me? Plus all the travel costs. I do sometimes think that some of these "opportunities" are a way of making money from young hopefuls. Not all places charge that much - a week at Ballet Cymru (general dance lessons/no audition) is £60 for the whole week. I recall DD doing a workshop at RAD and it was pretty reasonable. I am sure these things are great but some of the more low key local opportunities can be excellent too. Have you tried your county youth dance team Katymac? They often have someone to offer advice on what is on offer or try the Youth Dance England site which has links.

If this is what you are referring to - http://www.eastyouthdance.co.uk/your_area/norfolk - there isn't a lot on there; is there somewhere else I should look?

I work in childcare & £10 an hour (ish) including any activity is not a bad price to be honest (allowing for 15 yos not needing chiildcare ;) )

But things that aren't audition entry seem (to me) to have less value as anyone can do them.....unless you get kicked out if you aren't good enough

I don't really understand these things tbh; but DD's dance teacher thinks she needs extra classes/experiences

Not necessarily true regarding "no audition = less value". It depends what you want and need at the time. For example, Easter and Summer courses for which there is no audition will place students into different groups by age and experience, and students still get huge enjoyment and make great progress during the courses.

Plus if your daughter feels that she needs to catch up a little in any particular dance style, you might not necessarily want the pressure and intense competition at a highly popular Associate scheme. For catching up, non-audition classes can be very beneficial.

• Like 4

I tend to agree with spanner that no audition classes can still be very beneficial.  My DD has only ever done non audition summer schools but found the standard to be very high indeed and she has gained a great deal from them.

Re Youth Dance England - if you have a phone number on that site you found I would give them a call and follow it up.  I knew nothing about our local one until DD came back from school with an invite to audition on reccommendation of her PE teacher.  We did not follow up on it but a few of DDs friends did and gained a lot from it.  You have nothing to lose by finding out more.

Its a pity your DD does not do RAD as their associate scheme, whilst non audition again, is very good but you have to be entered by your teacher for it and they are just about to start monthly classes in Cambridge.

Her Ballet teacher is starting another class for her - so she will have 4 grade classes a week. & she has asked dd to do Pilates each day as well.

Maybe that will be enough with the summer schools.

I guess I just worried that if it isn't audition how do they ensure the level is right (but maybe that's more of a problem with something like Maths)

• Like 1

Not exactly but there are only 3 of them; she knew DD wanted more & has been asking round to see if anyone else does - fortunately 2 do!

We are doing private lessons for the Modern as no-one else needs to be where DD does (iyswim)