Dyeing pointe shoes

swe

Good morning all.

Just wondered if anyone knew of a way to dye pointe shoes (at home) I have no idea how much it would cost to have them done 'professionally' but I don't want a great expense. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

swe

Whenever we have needed to change the colour of pointe shoes we have used Sharpie felt tip pens and coloured them in! You need to go over them a couple of times but works really well. It is time comsuming but very therapeutic I find :-)

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 6

Have used watered-down acryllic paint but needs to be down in several thin layers to avoid overwetting the shoe. Just make sure if you are mixing the desired colour to make up plenty as it is virtually impossible to make the same shade twice! Also good idea to try out on an old pair first as colour may lighten/darken on drying. For flesh shades have used foundation make-up like taxi4ballet.

I know Freeds can make poinet shoes to order in different colours as dd has just had some black ones for performance but no idea how much this costs as school paid for them (miracles do happen!)

• Like 1

We've used the felt tip marker as too. You will probably need to buy 2 markers.... she say's speaking from experience of running out during the second coat on the first shoe, having coloured both shoes once! We live half an hour's drive from the nearest shop :). BTW we had to colour the ribbons as well.

• Like 2

BTW we had to colour the ribbons as well.

That's interesting Pastel, we've had to colour pointe shoes twice (black and dark green). Each time I managed to match up ribbon bought from a local market, exactly the same width as pink pointe shoe ribbon and it didn't slip either. :-)

That's interesting Pastel, we've had to colour pointe shoes twice (black and dark green). Each time I managed to match up ribbon bought from a local market, exactly the same width as pink pointe shoe ribbon and it didn't slip either. :-)

Sometimes other ribbon does slip more but if you use lots of hairspray on the knots it tends to stay. Slightly stiffer ribbon is better!

• 9 years later...

Hi all, I’m sure this has been asked before but I struggle to search for past posts. 

I’ve been challenged by my eldest DD to dye her pointe shoes black. They aren’t new but need to be dyed for a production she’s involved in.  

Any suggestions gratefully received. 🩰

Thank you. 😊

35 minutes ago, mim said:

I have used a product called Pointe Paint made by PointePeople. The black color covered the shoes and ribbons quickly and easily with no mess!

Thank you. Loving that last bit. No mess as I had visions of covering everything including me!! 😁

4 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

My pupils successfully used Sharpie pens for both scarlet and purple shoes. I would think black would work well too. 

Black sharpie gave a kind of funny purpley brown hue rather than a true black when we tried them….

• Like 1