where to buy costumes

pastel

Hi, 

does anyone know where I can buy a Giselle act 1 costume? Any links to costume websites would be helpful. We live in Australia, but many post OS.

I have placed a 'wanted' ad in this forum.

thanks,

Depending on how much you want to spend, try Benefiss. Can't post a link to their website as I'm on my phone and haven't figured out if it can be done sorry, but I'm sure Google will find it. They are in Moldova but definitely ship throughout Europe and the USA so probably worldwide too. Their costumes are lovely and I have always been impressed with the service too. Not cheap unfortunately though, but you may be able to choose to pay in either euros or USD and save a bit by picking whichever has the more favourable exchange rate for you at the time. When i first started shopping there, the £ was worth more than 2 dollars and I got some fabulous costumes for very good prices, but sadly those days are long gone.

• Like 1

Thank you KathG - I looked on that site. Gorgeous costumes, such a shame they don't have a Giselle costume.

Thanks Spannerandpony - that is the exact costume dd's teacher had which we thought she was going to wear. It is way too large around the bust/waist area but the sleeves barely fit over the shoulders because there is no opening in the back! She needs to go down at least 3-4 sizes but would not be able to get a smaller one on. Very strange design with a non-stretchy edging on the neckline.

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Another good company is Esme Dancewear. I have used them a few times now, both for costumes for my daughter and bulk costumes for her school shows. The ladies who run it are lovely and really helpful. I had a disaster when another supplier let me down less than 2 weeks before a show and phoned them in near hysterics - I ended up with better, at lower cost than what I'd originally ordered, so i can certainly vouch for this company.

Would something like this do?

http://www.esmedancewear.co.uk/dance-costumes/ballet-contemporary/lyrical-ballet-dress-costume-children-adult-adele.html

Or they might be able to do you a "one off" if you want something a bit fancier.

• Like 2

Thank you KathG - I looked on that site. Gorgeous costumes, such a shame they don't have a Giselle costume.

Thanks Spannerandpony - that is the exact costume dd's teacher had which we thought she was going to wear. It is way too large around the bust/waist area but the sleeves barely fit over the shoulders because there is no opening in the back! She needs to go down at least 3-4 sizes but would not be able to get a smaller one on. Very strange design with a non-stretchy edging on the neckline.

Thanks for your help

If you have a costume already but it is too big there are usually places that can take them in (if you aren't handy with a needle and thread yourself!)

I was recently given a lovely tutu for my daughter by her dance teacher but it was way too big. I took all the seams in and she wore it for a festival just recently and the dance teacher asked if my DD had grown as she didn't think the tutu would fit her! She really couldn't tell!

There are often local seamstresses that can take things in / adjust things if you can't for not much money. My husband once had a suit taken totally apart and made to fit him for £20. Just a thought!

If you have a costume already but it is too big there are usually places that can take them in (if you aren't handy with a needle and thread yourself!)

I was recently given a lovely tutu for my daughter by her dance teacher but it was way too big. I took all the seams in and she wore it for a festival just recently and the dance teacher asked if my DD had grown as she didn't think the tutu would fit her! She really couldn't tell!

There are often local seamstresses that can take things in / adjust things if you can't for not much money. My husband once had a suit taken totally apart and made to fit him for £20. Just a thought!

Thanks, yes, I intended on taking the costume in, but it doesn't belong to us and the way it is made would be very difficult to alter. I would need to put a zipper in the back as well as cut the bodice down and make the skirt much smaller at the waist. It is adult size medium and my daughter is child extra large (age 12-14) or adult extra small. To alter it would ruin it for the ballet teacher.

thanks taxi4ballet, yep, I've been trawling the internet including e-bay. We've pretty much decided to change her variation to Aurora's wedding since she already has a suitable creamy/white tutu. The costume needs to be 'historically accurate' and the time and cost of having one made is out of reach right now.

• Like 1

Hi Just Ballet - ok, at least I'm not going crazy, someone else has noticed that Giselle is hard to dress :)

I just had a look at your website - lovely! And, you ship to Australia :)

Edited by pastel
  • Like 1