alison

Dance on terrestrial TV

A heads up for The Man Who Loved Redheads with Moira Shearer on Talking Pictures (Freeview 81) this Saturday 18:35  I haven't see it for ages, so I can't remember how much she dances. IMDB says "John Hart dances the part of Sergei in the Sleeping Beauty extracts and appears by permission of the Covent Garden Trust."

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, trog said:

A heads up for The Man Who Loved Redheads with Moira Shearer on Talking Pictures (Freeview 81) this Saturday 18:35  I haven't see it for ages, so I can't remember how much she dances. IMDB says "John Hart dances the part of Sergei in the Sleeping Beauty extracts and appears by permission of the Covent Garden Trust."

Thanks trog - sounds like fun!

• Like 1

With the AI (Artificial Intelligence) bandwagon gaining momentum, it was only a matter of time before it would be applied to choreography, and almost inevitable that it would involve Wayne McGregor (see https://www.dancemagazine.com/is-google-the-worlds-next-great-choreographer-2625652667.html).

Well, the latest episode of BBC's technology programme, Click, featured a segment on his collaboration with Google's Arts and Culture Lab (it's about 9 mins into the episode at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006bxp ).

I'm not convinced it's anything more than a publicity stunt at the moment - the generated moves looked like most Wayne McGregor choreography I've seen.

Rather worryingly, one of the dancers said the AI system didn't understand physics or take account of gravity when creating the movements! 

Now, real dancers dancing real choreography can certainly look as if they defy gravity, but I don't think any of them can actually ignore it!

• Like 5

We had to retune the tv on Saturday and Talking Pictures disappeared as it often does! Will have another go in a few days. In fact on Saturday we even lost BBC one and BBC 2 for a while not sure if it was weather conditions or they were working on the transmitter ( on the Isle of Wight) or something. Also on Friday it was really windy down here with some very strong gusts anyway something was up so hopefully they will repeat that programme.

"The Red Shoes" is being shown once again on BBC2 this coming Saturday, at 12.50 pm.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Orlandau said:

BBC2 has a new series starting this evening about Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon, looks quite interesting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00077ch

There is also a documentary on Gwen Verdon on BBC4 this Saturday 3rd August at 10.30pm Merely Marvelous - The Dancing Genius of Gwen Verdon.

• Like 2

I'd seen an article about it, but hadn't realized that it was a) TV rather than cinema, and b) on the BBC, so thanks, both of you.

Wow - although I am a classical dancer and teacher through and through, I love Fosse's work.  Thanks for posting this.

Really not worth starting its own thread, but I turned on early for the news last night and caught the end of Peaky Blinders.  Does anyone know who was dancing the Dying Swan?  The credits were too small for me to see.

Thanks, Michelle.  I was at the computer with my computer glasses on, so couldn't tell.

Extract of an email from Rambert.

peaky-blinders-swan-lake.jpeg

By order of the Peaky Blinders, Rambert performed on the most recent episode of the popular BBC One series dancing Swan Lake choreographed by Artistic Director Benoit Swan Pouffer.

1px.png
1px.png
peaky-blinders-dying-swan.gif
1px.png 1px.png

Described by Thomas Shelby as "an independent dance company, dedicated to bringing ballet to the people", Rambert is absolutely thrilled we had the opportunity to be involved in such an amazing show.

In case you missed it, watch the full episode now on BBC iPlayer.

1px.png
1px.png

• Like 3

Oops, got the ballet wrong.  I didn't see there was a male dancer present.

Oh, this is great news ... I so enjoyed the performances I saw at the Wells.  With this and the film of the RB dancers in the cut MacMillan R&J it promises to be a very good Xmas all round :) 

11 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Oh, this is great news ... I so enjoyed the performances I saw at the Wells.  With this and the film of the RB dancers in the cut MacMillan R&J it promises to be a very good Xmas all round :) 

it is lovley to have good ballet to look forward to.

• Like 1

Just watched Getting to the Nutcracker on Channel 5. Very insightful. Wow, that's some budget they must have. Some very talented dancers though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Just watched Getting to the Nutcracker on Channel 5. Very insightful. Wow, that's some budget they must have. Some very talented dancers though.

where did you see it? I have looked and I can't find it on TV, I did find it on Amazon Prime though.

Edited by Janite

26 minutes ago, RMM1 said:

It is on My5, part of their Pluto TV offering.

Got it , thank you.

On 30/11/2019 at 18:53, Lisa O`Brien said:

thank you Lisa I greatly enjoyed watching this.

• Like 1

The filmed Romeo & Juliet starring Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words is on BBC Two on New Years Day at 5.30pm.

A repeat of Dancing the Nutcracker: Inside the Royal Ballet is on BBC Two on Christmas Day at 12 noon.

Essential Royal Ballet is on BBC Four on 29th December at 7pm. Described as Katie Derham introduces a spectacular selection of highlights from an incredible past decade at the Royal Ballet.

Edited by RMM1
Added BBC Four detail
  • Like 11

Northern Ballet's 'Victoria' mentioned upthread is on BBC Four on Sunday 15th December at 11pm.

• Like 1

Oh, good-o.  What a great time to get people interested in it :( 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RMM1 said:

The filmed Romeo & Juliet starring Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words is on BBC Two on New Years Day at 5.30pm.

A repeat of Dancing the Nutcracker: Inside the Royal Ballet is on BBC Two on Christmas Day at 12 noon.

A real "Frankie-fest", then.

• Like 4