alison

Dance on terrestrial TV

On 29/04/2017 at 13:00, alison said:

Borrowed from the Crystal Pite/Betroffenheit thread:

Unmissable, in my opinion.

Just a reminder for people to set their recorders for Sunday night, if they feel so inclined :)  BBC4, I think at 9 pm, but do check.

21 hours ago, alison said:

Just a reminder for people to set their recorders for Sunday night, if they feel so inclined :)  BBC4, I think at 9 pm, but do check.

Thanks for this, so used to seeing no dance on tv I'd missed it!

I will clearly be in a minority of one, if not actually up for lynching, and I know that the Betroffenheit back story was terribly tragic, which makes a negative reaction that much more difficult, but I found it selfconscious, unintelligible, overlong and I was so frozen with boredom that I could barely make it through to the end. It was, by the way, very much liked by a certain Exeunt contributor.

I have just tuned in to Hardtalk on the BBC 1 rolling news at 12.30 with Michaela de Prince speaking very poignantly and articulately about wartorn Sierra Leone and the strength that she has derived from the difficulties in her past.

• Like 2

Has anyone recorded “Pride and Prejudice” (1940 film) which was shown on BBC2 last Sunday?

A friend of mine who is doing research on social dance in films asked me to record it. I dutifully set up recording but after 2 hours noticed that recording lasted only 30 min. My old Sony does it sometimes. Such a bad luck!
I shall be very grateful if someone, who recorded it, can share it with me. I can offer something interesting in exchange.

5 hours ago, Amelia said:

Has anyone recorded “Pride and Prejudice” (1940 film) which was shown on BBC2 last Sunday?

A friend of mine who is doing research on social dance in films asked me to record it. I dutifully set up recording but after 2 hours noticed that recording lasted only 30 min. My old Sony does it sometimes. Such a bad luck!
I shall be very grateful if someone, who recorded it, can share it with me. I can offer something interesting in exchange.

Here it is (for under the cost of what Amazon would ask for just postage!):-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pride-and-Prejudice-Greer-Garson-Laurence-Olivier-Romance-1940-/222523766409?hash=item33cf733689:g:VhQAAOSwfRdZMGZf

• Like 1

I didn't expect to find such an old film available online. Luckily, the online services continue to be helpful as well as forum Members' support. Thank you so much, Geoff.

13 hours ago, Geoff said:

I've only just seen this post but I recorded it too - luckily with more success so I can burn it to DVD for my collection. Much as I admire Colin Firth's interpretation I still think Olivier's resolutely charmless Darcy is brilliantly successful.  Though it's a pity the costumes are of the Victorian era, rather than the more appropriate Regency.

I've noticed that the dear old Beeb has been showing a lot of classics lately and they tend to be uncut and, of course, without those dratted ads.   But if you want to buy commercial DVDs of 20th Century classics you can find them in all sorts of odd places.  The Edinburgh Wool Factory shop, for example, found in many Wyevale garden centres, always has a very good selection of these lovely old movies and all for a few pounds.

Linda

Incidentally I'm happy to help anyone who would appreciate access to my old movies collection.

Edited by loveclassics
P.S.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Amelia said:

Well, you can find it online here

Something interesting? 

• Like 1

Having had to miss the entire run, including the cinema relay, I'm delighted to read this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

The Royal Ballet in Wayne McGregor's Woolf Works will be on tv, BBC 4, 7pm 9th July 2017

What a wonderful surprise, out of the blue!

• Like 1

Oh no! I am away in the wilds with no TV that day.  How typical. i player to the rescue maybe.

Just spotted, while trying to persuade my recorder to record Wimbledon: 12.30 (i.e. in half an hour) on London Live (Freeview 8, I think only if you live in the "London" area), 150 mins, "Anna Pavlova", which appears to be a 1983 film based on her biography.  I suspect it may be repeated.

• Like 1

Thanks alison. "Anna Pavlova" (1983) will be repeated Sunday 9 July 0915 - 1200 on London Live, Freeview channel 8.

I think it's this one.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086089/

Edited by Grand Tier Left
  • Like 1

Thanks, GTL.  It looks like it, complete with the odd spelling of Diaghilev.  So, a TV miniseries combined into a film, I suppose?

On 04/07/2017 at 13:29, Grand Tier Left said:

Thanks alison. "Anna Pavlova" (1983) will be repeated Sunday 9 July 0915 - 1200 on London Live, Freeview channel 8.

I think it's this one.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086089/

Unfortunately I can't get London Live but it is available on DVD. The reviews are polarised so I'm undecided whether to splurge!

Yes there is a DVD, but it is very hard to get hold of. Amazon is probably your best bet. The making of the film was deeply troubled for complicated and also political reasons. My memory is a bit hazy on this but I think that it was Michael Powell's last film and originally he wanted it to be a TV mini series.

I read some time ago that the film was being restored and that extended footage was being filmed and spliced back in. But so far, there hasn't been a dicky bird about it so I have to assume that it is still knocking about somewhere.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2017 at 18:07, MargaretN7 said:

The Royal Ballet in Wayne McGregor's Woolf Works will be on tv, BBC 4, 7pm 9th July 2017 

Bumping this, as it's less than 48 hours away.

And now I've checked my TV guide, I see it's repeated at 1.30 in the morning.

• Like 1

I've just tried to set Woolf Works to record on my Virgin box and the record button won't set it (or for the 1.30 repeat). Is anyone else having a problem with this? I need to record it as we will be watching Formula 1, which clashes with it. I've had this happen once before, although I can't now remember what the programme was. I've set it as a manual recording and hope that works.

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

I've just tried to set Woolf Works to record on my Virgin box and the record button won't set it (or for the 1.30 repeat). Is anyone else having a problem with this? I need to record it as we will be watching Formula 1, which clashes with it. I've had this happen once before, although I can't now remember what the programme was. I've set it as a manual recording and hope that works.

I've set mine ... hope it works as I'm off out in a couple of minutes.

Bliss. Two hours on my own with Woolf Works. Tears shed with no fear of embarrassment. Bring on the DVD. (Sometime in 2018....)

• Like 2

Thank goodness for the BBC- a lovely surprise, including some of the interval features.

• Like 1

I will be grateful if someone can provide a link to the cast of the yesterday's screening.

Alternatively:

I now, I then

(from Mrs Dalloway)

ALESSANDRA FERRI    FEDERICO BONELLI

GARY AVIS    FRANCESCA HAYWARD    BEATRIZ STIX-BRUNELL

EDWARD WATSON    AKANE TAKADA    CALVIN RICHARDSON

Becomings

(from Orlando)

GARY AVIS    MATTHEW BALL    CALVIN RICHARDSON   FRANCESCA HAYWARD

PAUL KAY    SARAH LAMB    STEVEN MCRAE    NATALIA OSIPOVA

BEATRIZ STIX-BRUNELL    AKANE TAKADA    ERIC UNDERWOOD    EDWARD WATSON

Tuesday