Dance on terrestrial TV

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spotted, while trying to persuade my recorder to record Wimbledon: 12.30 (i.e. in half an hour) on London Live (Freeview 8, I think only if you live in the "London" area), 150 mins, "Anna Pavlova", which appears to be a 1983 film based on her biography.  I suspect it may be repeated.

• Like 1

Yes there is a DVD, but it is very hard to get hold of. Amazon is probably your best bet. The making of the film was deeply troubled for complicated and also political reasons. My memory is a bit hazy on this but I think that it was Michael Powell's last film and originally he wanted it to be a TV mini series.

I read some time ago that the film was being restored and that extended footage was being filmed and spliced back in. But so far, there hasn't been a dicky bird about it so I have to assume that it is still knocking about somewhere.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2017 at 18:07, MargaretN7 said:

The Royal Ballet in Wayne McGregor's Woolf Works will be on tv, BBC 4, 7pm 9th July 2017 

Bumping this, as it's less than 48 hours away.

I've just tried to set Woolf Works to record on my Virgin box and the record button won't set it (or for the 1.30 repeat). Is anyone else having a problem with this? I need to record it as we will be watching Formula 1, which clashes with it. I've had this happen once before, although I can't now remember what the programme was. I've set it as a manual recording and hope that works.

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

I've just tried to set Woolf Works to record on my Virgin box and the record button won't set it (or for the 1.30 repeat). Is anyone else having a problem with this? I need to record it as we will be watching Formula 1, which clashes with it. I've had this happen once before, although I can't now remember what the programme was. I've set it as a manual recording and hope that works.

I've set mine ... hope it works as I'm off out in a couple of minutes.

Alternatively:

I now, I then

(from Mrs Dalloway)

ALESSANDRA FERRI    FEDERICO BONELLI

GARY AVIS    FRANCESCA HAYWARD    BEATRIZ STIX-BRUNELL

EDWARD WATSON    AKANE TAKADA    CALVIN RICHARDSON

Becomings

(from Orlando)

GARY AVIS    MATTHEW BALL    CALVIN RICHARDSON   FRANCESCA HAYWARD

PAUL KAY    SARAH LAMB    STEVEN MCRAE    NATALIA OSIPOVA

BEATRIZ STIX-BRUNELL    AKANE TAKADA    ERIC UNDERWOOD    EDWARD WATSON

Tuesday

(from The Waves)

ALESSANDRA FERRI    FEDERICO BONELLI SARAH LAMB

LUCA ACRI    CAMILLE BRACHER    MICA BRADBURY

DAVID DONNELLY    BENJAMIN ELLA    KEVIN EMERTON

ISABELLA GASPARINI    SOLOMON GOLDING    HANNAH GRENNELL

ANNETTE BUVOLI    MEAGHAN GRACE HINKIS    TOMAS MOCK

ANNA ROSE O’SULLIVAN    MARCELINO SAMBÉ    LETICIA STOCK

HARRY CHURCHES    GINA STORM-JENSEN    DAVID YUDES

MADELINE DE ANDRADE    MIA BAILEY    GEORGE COX

JARAD JACKSON    EVE SIMPSON    SACHA BARBER

SOPRANO ANUSH HOVHANNISYAN

VOICEOVER FROM A LETTER BY VIRGINIA WOOLF SPOKEN BY GILLIAN ANDERSON

• Like 3

So pleased to see Woolf Works again, as often happens the picture quality was better on my TV than the cinema, and I could hear Virginia Woolf's words properly for the first time too!  The first ballet is still my favourite, love the music, makes me want to dance!

• Like 3

Caught the first act of this yesterday at 1.30 am just as I was about to go to bed after a pretty exhausting weekend my partner called me back with " Hey theres ballet on the tv!!" 

I went back and Wolf works had just started I'd forgotten it was on 

I stayed to watch the first Act and loved it all over again enjoying some of the closer shots too.....in fact I think I enjoyed it even more and saw more lovely detail I'd missed before etc. Lovely surprise. 

Will have to catch up with the other two acts on I-player though.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 27/03/2017 at 17:27, Jane S said:

On Sunday April 2nd at 8 pm BBC4 is showing a 1-hour programme called Giselle: Belle of the Ballet, in which Tamara Rojo uses ENB's two productions as a basis for an examination of "the cultural and social background to the ballet's genesis in 1840s Paris, and the spiritual themes that have fuelled its success over the last 175 years."

There's a clip showing the first 3 minutes of the programme here

This is about to be repeated on BBC2.

• 3 weeks later...

Ed Watson has posted to say he is appearing on Sunday Brunch on Channel 4 this morning. I can't find the running order to work out when during the programme his 'segment' is (or whether it was during the first hour of broadcast before I knew to turn it on although the programme's twitter feed hasn't mentioned him yet so assume not). Fingers crossed we haven't missed it! If not will have to catch up online. 

• Like 1

I managed to watch it on the 'All 4' app, Ed's appearance is at approx 20mins 45secs. It's promo for the Alice's Adventures in Wonderland cinema relay but he talks about his career and what the future might hold too. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/11/2017 at 16:37, RMM1 said:

BBC4  10.40pm on Sunday 5th November. A reworking of Parade by the National Dance Company of Wales.

Anyone else watch this? It was really weird. In the introduction they said Satie went to prison after the first performance  - for punching a critic. Hmm!