Dance on terrestrial TV

On 01/05/2021 at 00:21, alison said:

Monday 3rd May, 8 pm ITV1:

Darcey Bussell appears on Alan Titchmarsh: Spring into Summer to talk about bringing dance back to the nation this summer, according to my TV guide.

It's repeated, I think sometime this weekend, in the morning.  Did anyone watch?  Was it worth watching?

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, alison said:

It's repeated, I think sometime this weekend, in the morning.  Did anyone watch?  Was it worth watching?

I thought she spoke very well - it's only quite a short programme with lots of items. Outdoors at first at the start and then in the "garden shed" to talk ballet later in the programme.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, since we're on the subject of ballet, Sunday (i.e. today) morning at 6 am on Sky Arts, we have Sir Simon Rattle conducting "the three Stravinsky ballets", i.e. Firebird, Petrushka and The Rite of Spring.  It's repeated sometime in the early hours of Monday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts are showing Australian Ballet Coppelia.  Tues 1st June 7-9am filmed fairly recently. 

Also                            Australian Ballet Sleeping Beauty.  Sat 5th June 6.10-8.30am.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alison said:

I've seen a trailer - it looks pretty grim.😄

On 25/05/2021 at 22:12, taxi4ballet said:

I've seen a trailer - it looks pretty grim.😄

As I’d imagine. Why do they insist on showing these third rate dance programmes on TV? This one will no doubt go the way of all the other recent offerings (Strictly excluded, of course).

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

As I’d imagine. Why do they insist on showing these third rate dance programmes on TV? This one will no doubt go the way of all the other recent offerings (Strictly excluded, of course).

They seem to want to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Sky Arts Wed 9 Jun 7:25am

Matthew Bourne's Romeo & Juliet

A New Adventures production of the ballet, starring Cordelia Braithwaite and Paris Fitzpatrick in the title roles and direction and choreography by Matthew Bourne.

1 hour ago, rowan said:

Perhaps not the right place for this, but a very short BBC piece about a Muslim ballet school in London. Instead of working with music, they work with poetry instead- something I’d not thought about before: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-57360361

Thanks Rowan.  We also have this lined up for tomorrow’s links.  I would have been interested to know why music can’t be used. 

Sky Arts Sat 19 Jun 6:15am - 8:30am

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Sarah Lamb, Edward Watson and Federico Bonelli star in the Royal Ballet's 2013 production

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts are showing the Australian Merry Widow (again!) Wed 7th July 7.15am-9am

Also Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with Nunez/Muntagirov Sat 10 Jul 6-8.30am. This will nicely whet my appetite for seeing them do the last act on stage at the ROH the next day.

50 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Also Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with Nunez/Muntagirov Sat 10 Jul 6-8.30am. This will nicely whet my appetite for seeing them do the last act on stage at the ROH the next day.

Naghdi/Bonelli listed for 11 July SB. N/M on Fri 9 July 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, oncnp said:

Naghdi/Bonelli listed for 11 July SB. N/M on Fri 9 July 

I don't see those listings...are you referring to Sky Arts Freeview or something else?...also do you mean Kaneko, rather than Naghdi, with Bonelli, as per the last offering?

Edited by Richard LH

44 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

4B3ADE44-C121-41D5-A7DA-7E95839EB744.jpeg

Yes, thanks. Sorry I was confused as I didn't clock that oncnp's post  was correcting  an earlier post as to the casting for the current mixed programme.

On 03/07/2021 at 22:44, jmhopton said:

Sorry, I was getting mixed up with the livestream casting. We'll  be seeing them doing SB in that and Winter Dreams pas de deux on Sunday.  Still wonderful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts are showing RB Nutcracker (no indication of cast or date) on Sunday 18 July 6.30am-8.30am.

They're also showing Northern Ballet Casanova Mon 26 July 10.15pm to 12.10am. (Note the adult times!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed that Sky Arts showed Spartacus early this morning. Given the unearthly time (6.20) I assume it was ballet. Did anyone see it? And if so, who was dancing? Presumably they'll show it again, whatever it was, so we can then look out for it. That's assuming the listing is correct. The awards programme was scheduled to be shown yesterday, 9-11 am, but instead it was yet more Tales of the Unexpected.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I've just noticed that Sky Arts showed Spartacus early this morning. Given the unearthly time (6.20) I assume it was ballet. Did anyone see it? And if so, who was dancing? Presumably they'll show it again, whatever it was, so we can then look out for it. That's assuming the listing is correct. The awards programme was scheduled to be shown yesterday, 9-11 am, but instead it was yet more Tales of the Unexpected.

Yes - and I recorded them!!!

Yes, I noticed, too.  Drat, I'd thought it was tomorrow.  My guess would be that it was the Australian Ballet version - perhaps Bluebird or someone could confirm?

Incidentally, at 9 pm this evening, Why do we dance? presented by Akram Khan, followed by Northern Ballet's Casanova, which has already been mentioned.