Song and Dance Duet - Inspiration Required !!

BankruptMum

Does anyone have any ideas for the above or to point me in the right direction?

They are looking to do a musical theatre number for festivals, they both have good voices with a good range aged 14 and 16.

Would prefer to do something in which they were both female rather than male/female roles.

:rolleyes:

I have never been involved in dance festivals so might not be able to be of much help, but from musical theatre knowledge, maybe 'America' from West Side Story (basically a duet for Anita and Rosalia with the PR girls harmonising in the choruses)/something from Wicked - maybe 'One Short Day (in the Emerald City)''/ Fiddler on the Roof - eg 'Matchmaker'/ Oliver! - eg 'It's a Fine Life', 'I'd Do Anything' (although that is really for a young boy and teenage girl) or even 'Who Will Buy?' / Guys and Dolls - one of the Hot Box numbers could be done as a duet/ 42nd Street - the title number, 'Young and Healthy' (really for boy/girl duet), etc / Sweet Charity - 'Something Better than This', 'If They Could See Me Now'.

Also depends how original you want it to be. No offence anyone ;-) but we see a lot of many of these which is fine if you don't mind that, but some adjudicators like to see more original ideas.

I realise I'm not being much help by not giving any actual suggestions!

• Like 2

How about 'We Both Reached For The Gun' - Chicago. One could be the puppeteer and the other the marionette, ie the Billy Flynn and Roxie characters, but it lends itself well to a duet for two girls.

Or 'Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer' - Cats.

JulieW, that is a great point. I know that musical theatre directors get tired of the latest 'in' songs, although I don't know what those types of songs would be in the context of song and dance routines for festivals. I would have thought that most songs from 'Wicked' would fall into that category if there is any similarity between MT auditions and festival routines?

Thank you, but you have to give eloise_please credit for "Popular" - mine was "What is this feeling". :-)

Strictly the credit has to go to my DD's dance teacher as it is an inspired, witty routine! It was originally done by a 14 year old and 16 year old but is now a 9 and 11 year old (my DD is the 11 year old Glinda with serious 'blondeness' going on). It is very good!

• Like 2