Boys bolshoi video

Sheila Beelam

As a female and mum of a DD, I have often overlooked boys ballet but this clip from the Bolshoi audition is a wonderful insight into the strength boys need too!

Not to mention they can master the ended and pirouettes from 5th at the barre where the back leg comes to retire - eeeek I despise those in the Adv 1 barre! I feel like I'm corkscrewing inwards with no force to drive me!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jFfyVHZ3e50&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%

AWWW I wish mine was Fiz

I can certainly identify with what you are saying, I can dance them far better in a sequence that on the spot so to speak. We were doing Pirouette en dedan’s the other night from fourth, which I usually find quite easy, but then at home etc I usually have a pas de buree as prep and for some reason make a big difference to me. With the prep its just a natural movement with no effort, without it I have to start to concentrate.

We certainly do not do the pirouette thing at any of my classes to change to the other side at the barre. I think JB’s link is quite dangerous for me, as I can see me getting into trouble. Many adult classes that I go to just walk round to the other side which I take as bad form. At least at Lincoln they are fed up with my moaning, they at least buree round to the other side whilst I do a demi turne from fifth. Even at my first class at the ROH I complained about the lack of style in just walking round in a feedback report I sent in.

I really do love the idea of pirouetting round, especially the one and half turn version, I’m really going to be in trouble and in the dog house with my teachers , I can just see it. You girls really are a bad influence on me Ha Ha Ha. x

• Like 2

Well that was a surprise, went to Peterborough ballet class tonight, and we did do a pirouette type of turn at the barre. I was so taken a back with them I can’t remember what the main movement was, but I think it was a battement fondu. The turn was a fouette turn at the barre, a new one on me, and a nice one, however my landing wasn’t quite as elegant as it should be, still need work on it.

Yes Anjuli, I agree with pretending the barre is not there, but ultimately your hand does have to come in contact with it elegantly and in a controlled manner. I haven’t tried the turn and a half version yet, but they do look real fun and add a bit of sparkle to barre work. No sure I will be allowed to do them in most classes, as I’m likely to be accused of leading other dancers astray, but that’s nothing new.

I don't see where its any different.  The ending of a turn has to be controlled no matter where it is - in the center - at the barre - with a partner.  Putting the hand on the barre - or giving it to a partner - is an afterthought. 

Anyway - I always enjoyed them.  :)

• Like 1