Cecchetti Associates

Lemongirl

A friends daughter was an associate. It seems to be a very high standard and very competitive! Quite different to RAD in places I believe but not so much as to confuse the students and all working towards the same goal of creating excellent dancers obviously.

Hi

This is quite a competitive scheme. I hopefully have attached a link to it.

http://www.cecchetti.co.uk/youngdancers/associates/index.php

This scheme runs roughly once a month at Rambert Ballet School.There is a ballet lesson followed by another dance class which varies in style and is taught by visiting teachers.

There is also a scholars scheme which is even more selective and this runs weekly at Arts Ed in Chiswick.

Both are entry by audition.No idea what they look for sorry.

Cecchetti are known for their port de bras. RAD developed from cecchetti method. It is a syllabus followed worldwide is all I sketchily know about it.

Hope this helps.

Err not sure

Website says the following:

"Young Associates - entry class for children who are 8 years old and have gained Distinction in

Grade 1/Standard 2

Junior - a good pass in either Grade 2 or Standard 2 or above in classical ballet.

Senior - a good pass in Grade 4 or Standard 4"

It doesn't specify that it has to be cecchetti whereas it does for scholars.

You could try one of the contacts and ask.

My daughter is an Associate but does not attend a cecchetti class normally. She really enjoys attending and has not found the differences hard to embrace. Good luck with the auditions - everyone involved is lovely.

I am now at a school which teaches ISTD, and they used a fair bit of Ceccheti as did my previous teacher. It isn't that different, but more dance-y somehow and arms and arabesques are a bit different. I like it,

• Like 1

Hi Lemon Girl - I'm afraid I'm unsure how many were auditioning - they did split groups by age. My daughter said it was a fairly normal dance class (barre and centre work). She is unsure of flexibility assessments but seems to recall doing splits. sorry I don't have more info - she did say it was fun tho :)

• 3 months later...

Very proud of DD who has been offered a place as a Cecchetti Senior Associate from September :-)

Like Kat09's DD, she isn't Cecchetti trained (she is RAD trained), but for the monthly Associates I think the requirement is just that you are trained in Classical Ballet. I believe it is different for the Scholars though.

• Like 4

Have you thought about the Cechetti Summer School 'ATPositive'?

I did consider it but DD has booked on to this one which is much closer to us than Tring, and the dates clash:

http://www.watkinsdance.co.uk/WatkinsDance-Summer-Course.html

She is starting the CAT scheme at The Place in September and wanted a course with contemporary as well as classical ballet. It looks lovely though - maybe next year, funds allowing! :-)

• 8 months later...

Hello! Here goes my first post on the forum! Haven't had much to offer before now...

My DD was a Newport associate when she was in year 5 at school. She found the class size quite big. It was around 2 hours long , once a month, and reasonably priced. The audition was apparently 'just a formality', with everyone from DD's school getting a place as far as I remember. The majority of dancers seemed to enjoy the class but DD decided to quit because 'it wasn't challenging enough'. She wants to audition again at some point 'when the lessons are more difficult'.   

Hi Happymum and thanks!

DD was 8, nearly 9, and fairly new to the RAD Grade 3 syllabus when she started Cecchetti classes. There were definitely more than 30 children in the class with one teacher. They were split into 2 groups for bar work because bar space was limited, and sometimes split into 4 or so groups (depending on who was teaching) to dance. DD says that it didn't matter because she didn't have to wait long for her group's turn to dance though! 

Happy mum - my dd is in the seniors - the classes thin out the older they get and they currently have around 15 in the class. She is rad trained but has always loved the more expressive cecchetti form of ballet. She has passed grade 8 and is currently doing advanced so is a pretty high standard but she has always found the classes challenging and fun. As well as the more conventional ballet classes last years classes included: musical theatre workshop, various repertoire workshops including one from the fabulous Gillian Robinson, ballet Cymru workshop and lindy hop! They are always happy to move children into older groups if they see their ability exceeds their peer groups. Hope that helps. The newport bunch are a very welcoming and enthusiastic group of individuals.

• Like 1

I'm confused between the "Scholars" and the "Associates".  Am I right in thinking the "Scholars" is more like the RB Associates in that it's every weekend more or less?  Am looking at it for DD in case she doesn't get offered another year after assessments!

• 2 months later...

Hello. I wonder if anyone could give me some advice or has experience of the associate classes. 

My daughter is auditioning for the associates in London in June. Does anyone know how many places they have and what the teaching is like? There seemed to be quite a few audition classes.

She is not studying the Cecchetti method (she is doing ISTD) although I understand that this is for all classical ballet students. Do they favour those studying the Cecchetti syllabus?

Many thanks

• 1 year later...

I recently had the information through and its £150 per annum for juniors, which can be paid in 3 installments if preferred xx. This was for the northern classes, I don't know if they're all the same xx

Edited by Balletmummy55
  • Like 1