Tring MDS funding audition

taxi4ballet

I was very confused about this situation myself!

We are sending a DVD for the Tring audition but going to Elmhurst and RB.

I am trying to leave it as long as possible before sending the DVD as I don't know what the out come may be from the other schools!

She may not get into any but it is so much money for a deposit,actually £5000 for us as we are abroad!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge sympathies. We got stung even worse I'm afraid

Dd accepted a place at an academically selective private school & we had until 31st jan to accept @ pay ££700 deposit

She was then offered a late place at Hammond in May. Because the other schools terms were a full term notice I've had to pay full school fees of £7000 for this term at a school she never attended. They wouldn't waive it even though ds still goes there.

Wow Pictures!  That's harsh especially with another child at the school already....

We had a similar situation with my son a few years ago...we accepted a private place and paid the deposit but later he was then offered a Grammar school place.  We were very grateful when the independent school didn't ask us for the first term's fee (although we lost the deposit but we were completely OK with that).

With this situation, I would again completely understand the £250 registration element being non-refundable but not the £2000 deposit....

My gut is kind of telling me to just pay it....but it just seems a little unnecessarily high especially when compared to The Hammond.

Tomuchtallent....you have my sympathies too....

So, the vocational school challenges continue...

I've just received the same letter :-) my DD has been offered a place for year 9 and has also been put forward for the funding audition yaaayyyy :-) happy house today. I wouldn't be able to send my DD without funding so I won't be paying the deposit to secure the place we will have to take our chances :-)

• Like 5

Presuming there is no way your dd can attend Tring without funding then do as we did.

That is say that you are thrilled with the offer but thst there is no way you can afford the deposit. Afterall that is why you asked to be considered for funding. (Congratulations on getting this far btw).

I am sure that it used to be the case that just the registration fee was forfeited.

Good luck.

• Like 2

That's what I thought. I paid the deposit last year £650, and explained that DS needed funding. We turned Trings offer down after DS was offered WL and Elmhurst and our deposit was refunded.I'm sure that you had to let them know 6 wks before the start of term. They had so few MDS places last year. It seemed sad to take 50 children to funding knowing that they only had MDS for 3 of them.

I didn't realise that if you got through to the MDS you would still have to pay the £2250 to hold a place and if you don't get the funding you loose it :( that is terrible it's very strange, £60 for The Hammond was ok and Elmhurst no money required to go through to the MDS, I don't think we could possibly afford to loose that amount, can you try and speak to someone else at Tring or anyone on here last year had the same dilemma I will ask a couple of my friends who went through to the MDS last year but didn't get the funding if they lost any money x

• Like 1

I didn't realise that if you got through to the MDS you would still have to pay the £2250 to hold a place and if you don't get the funding you loose it :( that is terrible it's very strange, £60 for The Hammond was ok and Elmhurst no money required to go through to the MDS, I don't think we could possibly afford to loose that amount, can you try and speak to someone else at Tring or anyone on here last year had the same dilemma I will ask a couple of my friends who went through to the MDS last year but didn't get the funding if they lost any money x

Hi dancing2003, no you don't have to pay that amount to go through to the funding audition. You only pay that if you will be accepting the offer regardless of getting the funding, but want to try for funding as well. So if you can afford the fees anyway and want to secure a place regardless then you pay this to secure the place. I can't afford the fees myself so my DD will be just going through to funding audition and I don't have to pay anything but if she's unsuccessful with funding then I may have lost her place she was offered but as I can't afford it anyway it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

This is all very confusing! When my dd was offered a funding audition we never payed any deposit- although she would not have been able to go without funding. I find it very hard to believe that if you don't pay a deposit , then don't get funding , that they would turn you away if you are willing to pay fees. It would concern me that funding would be offered to someone else if they thought I could afford to pay anyway ..although I know this shouldn't happen.

Hi, just to clarify, you don't have to pay the deposit to accept the funding audition...you only pay the deposit if you want to secure the place irrespective of whether you get funding or not.  If you do pay the deposit and are then awarded funding, the money is refunded to you.  

If you don't pay the deposit and don't get funding, then you can still have your place but only if there is still a place available and you can pay the full fees.

If you don't pay the deposit and do get a funded place, then your place is already reserved (they keep the beds they need for the funded places reserved anyway) and no deposit is required.

Yes, they did confirm that they have significantly increased the deposit from the £650 to the £2000 this year.

So my original turmoil surrounds whether it's wise to pay the deposit now knowing that I could have to forfeit it should DD be offered a place at WL or decide to go to The Hammond, or risk a place still be available following funding at Tring should DD not get a funded place at Tring or a place at WL....

It's still a lovely position to be in....to have a choice and know that our DD will embark on her vocational journey in September and I know we are fortunate to be able to consider it with or without funding (although it will be tight without funding) but it's still a huge amount of money to potentially write off....(although I shiver when I think how much Picturesintheflight lost) ;)

And I agree Lildancer96 that although it shouldn't, I don't want to think that DD could be overlooked for funding because it is thought that we could afford to pay anyway.  We will make significant sacrifices to enable DD to attend without funding but if we can get help in the form of an MDS then we will be glad to know that it was gained completely on merit :)

Above all else...we are over the moon that DD has a place and I keep smiling whenever I think about it :D 

• Like 1

Well done Amandalou and dtadmin fab news for you both.  We love love Tring very much but I get the impression with Tring that they want you to go there because Tring is your first choice not because you didn't get into another school.  I remember on the acceptance form they ask what other schools you are applying for which I filled in tentatively.  

• Like 4

Dd didn't audition for Tring as we knew we couldn't afford it

This term has been very very hard - I've been paying the old school in instalments but I figured that long term we would be better off if we accepted the Hammond place.

It still stings though & I wish we'd not accepted the original place as I know they wernt full this academic year.

• Like 1

Dd didn't audition for Tring as we knew we couldn't afford it

This term has been very very hard - I've been paying the old school in instalments but I figured that long term we would be better off if we accepted the Hammond place.

It still stings though & I wish we'd not accepted the original place as I know they wernt full this academic year.

Yours is definitely a cautionary tale Pictures which is one of the reasons why we've decided that I'm sitting on my hands until at least the New Year!  I've sent back the funding audition acceptance form today and will just enjoy Christmas now before deciding on what to do in the New Year :)

DD loves Tring so at the moment it's top of her list anyway :)

xx

• Like 1

They are obviously interested in your dd and I'm sure that she will have a place still without funding if she is not successful at the funding audition ...they need the paying customers too. My only concern in your position would be boarding; we were offered funding late in the year and boarding was full for 6th form .

• Like 5

Congratulations to those offered a place at Tring - well done.  This does seem a huge dilemma and I am not sure how I would react if I was fortunate enough to be in this position with my DS.  His audition at Tring is not until Feb though, so no early problem at the moment.  I wonder what would happen to the Tring deposit if you paid it, got a funding audition and funding but also got a place at WL which you would prefer?..........presumably you would lose the deposit then too?  Seems harsh.  

• Like 1

Tring refund your deposit provided you let them know that your child will not be taking up the offered place within the time specified.

Yep, that might have applied last year theodore because I rang them on the strength of one of your posts about your experience last year, but they confirmed on the phone that they've changed it this year and do stipulate that it is non-refundable.

Just a word of warning concerning Tring latish auditions...

2 years ago, DD1 auditioned in January and was offered a boarding place, no funding since we live abroad. 2 weeks later, DD2 auditioned also and was offered a day place because all of the boarding places were taken... Since she was then 12, the lack of boarding (added to  the lack of funding...) threw a big spanner in the works!!!

Their bedrooms go very quickly!

• Like 1

Just a word of warning concerning Tring latish auditions...

2 years ago, DD1 auditioned in January and was offered a boarding place, no funding since we live abroad. 2 weeks later, DD2 auditioned also and was offered a day place because all of the boarding places were taken... Since she was then 12, the lack of boarding (added to  the lack of funding...) threw a big spanner in the works!!!

Their bedrooms go very quickly!

Afab, you have just completely summed up our dilemma - I would hate not to secure the place and then subsequently get no funding, no place offered at WL and end up having missed the boat on a boarding place....  

I spoke with DH about it a lot last night and we think we will pay the deposit and trust that we are doing everything we can to make the right decision for DD :)

• Like 3

atadmin, that seems really unfair. How can anyone make such a big decision when they still havent even auditioned at the other schools. Its hard enough to decide whats best for our dancing children without being held to ransom. Wishing you all the best what ever happens.

• Like 5

I can understand it from the schools perspective that they don't want to reserve lots of places for people who then go elsewhere ultimately as this undoubtedly creates administrative hassles for them if nothing else, but I think there is a fine line between deterring that and charging excessively for the privilege....ho hum....

I must also say that the conversations I have had with them have been very helpful (even if they didn't give me the answers I'd hoped for) ;)

x

spanner, I don't recall anything about deposits / registrations amounts on the audition application forms...but then again there's so much else to worry about at that stage that I could have missed it? x 

• Like 1

When we were looking for Y7 places a few years back I remember reading about the deposit required for Tring - put us off of auditioning!

Auditions are a huge money spinner for these schools.  To be honet if auditions were free (and I'm not suggesting they should be) I dont think they would be over-come with more applying, I dont think I've heard of anyone not applying because they couldnt afford it - its just another cost we absorb in this expensive world. 

• Like 3

I was just about to say the same thing. I seem to remember from somewhere that deposits have to be refundable - they're only allowed to keep an amount to cover any losses they might have made. I can't imagine they would be out of pocket if you didn't take up the place!

Booking fees are permissible.