Tring MDS funding audition

taxi4ballet

Thank you for this Tutugirl - was this for a boarding place?  Thank you also for the advice on Hammond.  So disappointing when there are so few MDS places available, but a great experience and good to know that if only we had the money, our dd may be talented enough to get in.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

My daughter has just been offered a place for year 7 sept 2014 at Tring. We were all jumping for joy until I noticed the 'unable to recommend an audition for funding' paragraph. Is there no other way of getting funding apart from the MDAs?. I thought about approaching large businesses to sponsor her but not holding out any hope. It's such a shame. Does the Royal Ballet have more funded places at White Lodge?. Thanks.

Not many it was about the same as Tring.  It's a shame the government don't still publish the report which showed how many places were at each school and how much money was spent on the scheme.

edited to add last sentence

Edited by KathyG

I think there are a few more MDS places at Hammond not wanting to contradict you KathyG but the year my eldest dd auditioned there were 13 MDS places the majority went to yr 7& 8 but her friend got one for yr 9.

When my 2nd dd auditioned I'm sure there were around 15 MDS places I could be wrong .

It all depends on the outgoing yr11 and of course children leaving for other reasons.

The Hammond also offer generous bursaries to all who don't gain an MDS.

It is very difficult to source any independent funding.

• Like 3

Sorry fergie69 - how amazing to be offered a place but disappointing about the funding.  You could take heart from Theodore's experience where, I think, her son was not offered funding at Tring but was offered a place at White Lodge. Is that right Theodore?  I think all the schools must be looking for different things so I hope you have better luck elsewhere.  I am posting off the various forms for my DS today, and about to join everyone on the conveyor belt!

• Like 1

DS was invited to Trings funding audition having already accepted a place. We were told that they had seen 650 children. Fifty were invited to funding. At the end of the audition 6 names were called, DS being one of them. We went downstairs for a physio assessment. We were then told that sadly they only had funding for 3 of them.DS didnt get MDS funding. We drove from Tring to a hotel in Richmond, ready for WL finals. DS went on to be offered a MDS place at Elmhurst and WL for yr7. Good Luck Suzyzoo its a mad few months.

• Like 2

Thanks Theodore - very interesting and informative.  Presumably your son was a JA?  He must be very talented to be offered 3 places, 2 with funding!  WOW!  How did you accept a place at Tring and then not go?  Did you lose your deposit?

• Like 1

2 of them are in Birmingham and one I think has gone to the states !

It's not easy having them that far away at 11 - I've just had a phone call saying he wishes he can come home and see us , but I know he is just tired abd will be fine in the morning - only a few weeks to go how .....

• Like 1

No only 2 in Elmhurst - I was including my DS , I think most of the rest were going on to MAs and as far as I know only one was giving up !

It was a tough and hard working class , but some who went to White lodge only joined in the last couple of terms - had the right physique presumably - not much experience is always needed !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My dd is still waiting to hear from November audition, think it should be this week

Have you heard anything yet Dance2013 , still nothing here. It seems like such a long time since the audition. I hope they don't keep us hanging on much longer :-(

No Suzyzoo you can accept a place and then get your deposit back within a set time frame. Yes DS was a weekly london JA in Miss  Hubbards boys only class. 6 out of the 12 yr7 boys at WL came from this class.

Hi everyone, I'm in need of advice....most of you will know now that my DD has been offered both The Hammond and Tring for year 7 and has funding auditions for both too.  When we received the Hammond offer, we were asked to register with a £60 registration fee to make sure a place was reserved for DD (irrespective of the funding audition outcome) which we did as we took the decision that £60 was a reasonable sum for the school to ask (even if we ultimately did not send DD there).

We received the offer from Tring on Friday and they ask for £2250 registration and deposit which is a huge amount of money. Although DD has been invited to funding audition in February, they require the registration by January otherwise they cannot guarantee a place if not successful at MDS audition.  I just rang them to see if that meant that we could lose the 250 registration but still get the £2,000 refunded should we not take up the place after all the other auditions, etc have been done.  The initial response was "no, we'd forfeit the whole £2,250 if we then don't take up the place reserved."  I explained that the RBS auditions don't even start until January so parents aren't in a position to make an informed decision until after then and the response was "that we'd have to take our chances".....

I'm waiting for a call back from Tring now but it poses a real dilemma - I'm not for a minute assuming that DD will get offered a place at RBS, but if she did, we would stand to lose £2,310 in deposits...or alternatively if we don't pay the deposit and DD doesn't get a place at RBS or a funded place at Tring there may no longer be a place for her.....

No parent can afford to lose £2,310 in deposits in the months immediately before embarking on potentially years of school fees irrespective of the school chosen....but then how can you risk the place your DD has secured by not paying up?

Help and advice gratefully received.....

If they really want her they will find a place for her. That really is a redicilous amount of money to secure a place without a confirmation of funding. I would tell them you want the place but you can't afford that deposit. Would they really discriminate against a child who's parent couldn't fork out that amount of money?

• Like 1

Do you think they're trying to establish if you would be able to afford and willing to pay for the place regardless of whether your successful getting the funding. In which case if your able to pay for the place without funding maybe they view it that the funded place should go to someone who isn't able to pay for the place. I don't mean this in a negative way towards you, I just wonder if that's what they're trying to establish by asking you for a deposit.

No, I think it's standard across the board :(  I suppose if you know you can only go if you do get the funding then it doesn't matter....but I think it's to try to get people to make a firm decision earlier rather than hedging bets until all results are known.

The biggest issue for us personally is cost versus heart....so if for example just looking at The Hammond and Tring....if we got funding or a bursary at The Hammond but no funding at Tring, it would be thousands and thousands of pounds difference.  If we don't get funding for either then it's a heart only decision....

We have always said that we would be happy with an offer from any of the schools as they all offer outstanding vocational education, but now we are in the fortunate position of having more than one, we can't afford to lose money of that amount as every penny will count from this point forward...

I feel like I have "turmoil" stamped on my head ;) 

• Like 1

Yes that's difficult and so soon to be making the commitment without having results from the others. I'm really not sure what I would do in that case. We would need some funding so I wouldn't put a deposit down anyway and DD knows she won't be going without funding so it's different for us. When will you know about the bursary from Hammond's? We're not applying there so I don't know anything about their procedures.