A hard life

dramascientist

This is my first time posting, so hello to everybody. I have been inspired to write after reading all your posts, until I found this forum I thought I was the only one finding life with a talented dd hard. Today I have to tell her that despite all our efforts we cannot find funding for her to take up a place at Tring in 5th form dance in September. We live abroad so she does not qualify for the music and dance scheme and our last hope, my parents-in-law, said today that they cannot help. Oh well will have to apply again next year for 6 th form dance since we will qualify for DaDAs, I'm sure it would have been easier if she had been a sports woman!

• Like 1

Welcome dramascientist!

I know how you feel as I had to have this conversation with 2 of my DDs last year about not being able to afford to send them to Tring after they got in as we also live abroad and we couldn't find funding...

Make sure you check things for DaDa. Since you live abroad, you qualify for the Fees part of the DaDa but not for the maintenance part of it...

I'm sorry I might be the bearer of bad news...

Good luck!

Hi abfab

Thanks for the information. We realise that we will have to pay boarding fees etc but feel that would be possible....though I will probably only be able to retire when I'm 90! Oh well its a good job I like my job, why couldn't I have had a genius child, people seem to be falling over themselves trying to give funding to these gifted children, ho hum thats life I guess!

Hi dramascientist,

I'm new here too and dealing with similar issues of trying to navigate this road of bringing up a child with such a huge dream. If only there were a neutral body (not an examiner, but a group of ex-dancers) who could asses our kids at certain stages and let us know if they look like they have the potential or if they really need to consider other options.

Where does one draw the line with finances? We have made a decision to accept the fact that we won't be paying our mortgage off too soon in order to pay for the dance tuition (and associated travel). We figure that we probably will be able to afford to pay it when we are about 80, but by then it will be a little late for our dd. 

Wishing you all the best,

pastel

Hi Dramascientist,  I know exactly how you feel............ same for us only for 1st form, DD has being amazing about it and thrilled to have been offered a place but so sad too, she knew a yes for dance course and boarding with a no for funding was the same as a no.  First thing she said this morning was I wish I was at the funding finals today Mommy.  She wants to audition again next year to try to join her brother xx

Dramascientist, I hope your dd is taking the news ok. We are in the same boat (a place offered for 4th Form but no funding) and although we would qualify for MDS, there aren't enough to go round so dd can't go either. She always knew that she wouldn't be able to go without funding though, and at least the experience has been a positive one in a way - as she now knows that she's on the right path, and that they liked her enough to make the offer... a small comfort, I know, but enough to make her feel a bit better about it all. (edited for spelling)

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 3

Thank you for all your thoughts. It was not the easiest conversation I have had I have to admit. I think it was the first time she has realised that we are human and even though we tried (I have never sent so many emails to strangers and had so many conversations with random people before) we have failed. I suppose its the first time we havn't been able to deliver, but as her dad said she has been lucky so far, there are many out there who have not had the chances she has had. Yesterday nothing we said made any difference but she seems brighter today and is keen to move on and maybe look into doing some other things like singing to give her the best chance possible next year. Plus we were very late applying this year, too late for Hammond and Elmhurst but now we know she wants to do A'levels as well as her vocational training so we will be apllying everywhere next year because I know the competition will be even tougher. At least she was offered a place, there are so many out there that don't even get that far!

• Like 2