Potential at 6th form level

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

Obviously by the time a student reaches 6th form age they will need to demonstrate a good level of technical ability etc but is potential still considered at this stage if it can be seen? thanks!

• Like 1

Someone on this forum more knowledgeable than me may be able to correct me if i`m wrong,but i get the impression,at least from hearing about people auditioning for RBS, Elmhurst, and ENBS that by the time they are 16,these schools are expecting to see pretty much the "finished product".

• Like 2

Yes I agree, the finish product with room to improve... but too late for potential I think... I'd say that even at 13 potential is not enough anymore, the technic has to be there which is why POB stop auditioning at 13 for example...

Edited to add that this applies to ballet not to everything...

Edited by afab

Guest Autumn days

But surely if they are looking for the finished product then here is no need for a further three years of training? I didn't really mean the potential to improve from almost nothing but the potential to improve further!

I agree with Julie - they don't need to be perfect, or as good technically as their peers - obviously they need to be a good advanced standard but still looking for potential and trainability!

• Like 1

I think we're actually all saying the same thing. It's just what we put behind words...

Potential for me is that thing that one can see even though the kid has no technique, like an uncut diamond... That's what school are looking for, according to me, and most teachers I've talked to, up to 12-13. But that doesn't mean one doesn't have to have potential at 16 to be admitted, it's just that potential only at that age is not enough. At 16, your body is more or less finished and there are things that are extremely difficult to change if you haven't trained young enough or if your training as not been top...

It won't be enough then to have a beautiful foot or to have a body's dancer or to be full of expression when you dance. Schools then want the full package, what thequays called the "finished product". They want the kids with a different potential, a trainability potential. They know that if the bases are strong and excellent, not simply good, one can build on top of them...

So, of course, in that sense potential is important and I agree with Julie & Julie...

But I don't agree a +16 school would take on a kid with the potential of an 11 years old that hasn't been developed or who has been badly or not enough taught.

Edited by afab
  • Like 1