Competitions

Petite_Dancer123

I am 14 years old and really want to take dance as a carreer! I know that to get companies to like you, you must have as much experience as possible. However, my dance teacher does not give us any competitions to get involved in outside the lesson... Are there any websites I can look at? I don't really want to talk to her about it because it will make things awkward with her and I have her for many dance lessons a week!

I am really sorry if I posted to the wrong bit. I only just got this and I'm not sure how to use it :)

Any help would be appreciated!

It depends what you want to do. My brother did competitions and then competed in DanceMaster and came 3rd. He then won a full scholarship to The Laines at 16. I'm sure doing comps helped with his performance abilities. He didn't start dancing until 13 but it gave him the confidence to perform. He never did any summer schools or workshops. If you want to do ballet though you might want to get noticed at summer schools etc. my girls do comps and I love the confidence it gives them. Plus the life skills. It's difficult if your teacher doesn't do them though.

Both the RAD and ISTD web sites have information on the competitions they run - as Robin64 has asked it very much depends which style of dance you are interested in.

The are lots of Eisteddfod and Festival competitions,  http://www.all-engla...g.uk/index.html gives you an idea.

You will need help and support from your teacher though to enter any competition as often solo dances are required and lots of rehearsals.  Perhaps it may be a good idea to talk to her about it and explain how keen you are to take part in competitions.

• Like 1

It depends on what type of dance you want to do but technique and perhaps exams are a good basis rather than  comps though the performance aspect of comps can be  important. Many dance teaching societies offer comps....so perhaps your dance teacher may easily find out about them for you. If you value and trust your teacher you should ask them...if not then get another teacher.

Thank you everyone! :D I am only studying ballet but I have had experience in loads of other dancing. I know that if I want to take ballet as a carreer than I should need as much experience as possible as it is a very hard job to acheive! I could talk to my teacher but I don't think she is the type for competitons... I will start to feel uncomfortable. I would consider moving schools to ones where they do competitions after my ballet exam this march:)

If you want to do Musical Theatre then comps are a really good idea and give you confidence and experience of performing in that way. If you want to do purely ballet then summer schools and workshops may be more valuable. They do teach you good life skills and prepare you for the knock backs of the dance world.

Have you thought of getting some performance experience in another way for example the youth ballet companies or your dance school's show?

Edited by eloise_please
  • Like 1